RobertC's More than 2 Wheels entry 'Atalaya's Arctic Cat Trike'

Hello again,

Here is entry 2. And is actually a project I am working on with my 8 year old daughter...she's the one who took off the front wheel, and fender as the initial part of the tear down.

This is my daughter's Arctic Cat Trike that we bought last year in Windber. It has ton's of rust, but a great running motor - with a neat sounding pipe, and some cool handlebars.....my 8 year old daughter likes it because it's 3 wheeled, and she feels more comfortable on 3 wheels (than on one of our mini's with stabilizer wheels on it).

Neat little bike, but has geometry problems, and I ain't talkin math class either...here's the scoop bike is all Arctic Cat except for swingarm....someone homebuilt the swingarm to accomodate two rear wheels, and to my eye it does not appear to be 'square' where it needs to be...and if a grownup rides the bike and turns too hard the chain pop's off. This and a previous weld near the tripple tree, or down tube or whatever you call the front of the frame that holds the fork bolt causes the bike to 'lean' in one direction.

Here's the plan...I've got a buddy who does auto body work for a living, and he has torch and welding equipment in his body shop...he's agreed to help me get the frame 'square'.

My daughter and I will tear the bike down to the frame, all new paint, same original arctic cat seat, perhaps new Arctic Cat letter's, new correct geometry rear end, new 'bracket' to hold handle bar's (one side has crack in it ... i'll show photo later...want to get this entry in before i turn in to a pumpkin...it's 2/1 at 11:35...nothing like procrastination to motivate one !

Anyway, same deal for the sign as my other entry...when i backed up to show more bike, my sign got blurry...when i got close enough to read the sign, you could not see much mini....thus the multiple photos, so you could see my sign.

And the same sentiment applies as my first entry and that is ..... I realize I am doing this amongst a bunch of folks who are masters at this...I feel proud and honored to be allowed to join you all, and I look forward to this learning experience, and quality time with my daughter !

Thank you,

Robert

Now there are several trikes entered, I never even saw one when I was a kid.

Sounds like a plan on straightening the frame.

With two builds going, you will be a busy man!

Good on you for getting your daughter involved, too.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You gonna be busy. You're a month behind.:laugh:
I hear Ya Buckeye !

In addition to my procrastinating, before i would obligate to entering the build off, I kept saying I wanted to get the garage a bit better organized so I'd have better access to the bikes, and tools, and stuff, and guess what ? I did.

Here's a picture of how it looks while it's still somewhat organized.

I think it will be the small things that slow me down now, like just this week have been working on a throttle cable on one bike, spent enough time to change motors just trying to get the throttle cable fixed ! :doah: (gonna order a whole new assembly from Hent I think).

Another good thing though :smile: , it's our 19 year old who broke the throttle cable, and before this, he'd not been much interested in the mini bikes, now he and his friends won't stay off them long enough for me to ride :scooter: :thumbsup: .

They can break them faster than i can fix them though..:shrug:...I suggested he and his friends tighten the chain on the alexander reynolds, and they disappeared...so i figured it was my chance to ride...adjusted the chain... and suddenly they showed back up about two minutes later :laugh: !

Now there are several trikes entered, I never even saw one when I was a kid.
......Good on you for getting your daughter involved, too.
Thank you InventorPardue,

I think when we get everything squared up, it will be a cool(er) little trike.

It is definately some good quality time with her...and she is picking up good skills too :thumbsup: .

Hey Rob , wow thats cool cant wait to see somemore pictures :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks Rob. We'll do that.

We plan to take and post a bunch of pictures. Plus, Atalaya liked what that one young fella did at Windber last year by compiling a notebook full of pictures documenting the build of his bike, and she want's to do that too !

I need pictures so i can remember how to get things back together :laugh: !

Hello Clay,

Not sure how this works as this is my first buildoff, but somewhere I remember reading something about posting progress at least once a month or thread is deleted.

I want to make sure this thread stay's active...we've had contractors here this month doing fix up stuff on the house that we'd been hoping for, for quite some time.

Therefor we've not gotten as far yet on this mini bike project as we'd hoped by now...but the contractor is out of here by Saturday, so we'll have less distraction and be able to get back to the important stuff, like building a mini bike with my daughter !

Thank you !

Robert

Sounds good Robert. :thumbsup: Don't worry, if the thread hasn't been updated in time I will PM you first because I know that life happens.

I can't wait to see how your trike turns out. :thumbsup:

Sounds good Robert. :thumbsup: Don't worry, if the thread hasn't been updated in time I will PM you first because I know that life happens.

I can't wait to see how your trike turns out. :thumbsup:
Thanks Clay, got your message, been busy, but am definately finishing this bike with my Daughter.

I'll post more updates later this week, but wanted to let you know we still want to be in the build-off.

Thank you,

Robert

Hey Folks,

Wanted to at least post the progress we've made.

We worked on Atalaya's bike some more, she tore it all the way down to the frame (I break the nuts free, and she takes them off).

We've got the 3 wheeler down to the point where i'm ready for the frame straitening...and been in touch with my fried who's going to help do that, and hoping to make that happen this week.

Back in touch w/ more progress and some photos of such when i get time to upload them.

I think once we get the frame straight we'll be able to pick up speed and get this done.

Thanks,

Robert