Rod for clones

ok so i have made a few posts in regards to my trike project with two motors. alot of people have been telling me that if i want more power to remove the governor as well as all internal parts, and add a billet rod because they are likely to give way. i was wondering if the oem honda rods would suffice? i can get two of these for the price of 1 billet rod. please keep in mind that i am running two motors so any parts i get for 1 i will have to get for the other, so i am looking a price wisely. i am also looking to put new carbs on both motors as well as buying several parts for the trike itself. so i am looking to spend as little as possible.

I would invest in the billet rods if your going through with taking apart the engines to mod. them, Look at some of the go karting site and read what they recommend for both Honda and clone engines they recommend billet rods for both engines. If I was doing it, I would use the billet rod, it will probably save you money in the long run.

so still invest in the billet even tho im not doing any other internal mods? the extent of the mods will end at carbs and electric starters more than likely.

ok so i have made a few posts in regards to my trike project with two motors. alot of people have been telling me that if i want more power to remove the governor as well as all internal parts, and add a billet rod because they are likely to give way. i was wondering if the oem honda rods would suffice? i can get two of these for the price of 1 billet rod. please keep in mind that i am running two motors so any parts i get for 1 i will have to get for the other, so i am looking a price wisely. i am also looking to put new carbs on both motors as well as buying several parts for the trike itself. so i am looking to spend as little as possible.
Not buying the billet rods will mean a rod through the clone block LOL ....but when you buy new clone motors you will have spare heads from the motors that have blown out cases lol ....( kids down the street just launched a rod in a clone over the weekend ) was not pretty :thefinger:

so still invest in the billet even tho im not doing any other internal mods? the extent of the mods will end at carbs and electric starters more than likely.
i didn't see this part when i posted before.

if you remove the governor, get billet rods and the 18lb springs. there's no point in swapping carbs if you aren't also going to put headers on the engines.

Thanks for the advice i will defiantly buy the billet then. know of anywhere that sells them for less than the 60 + shipping that AGK and Nr Racing is asking? 150 is a little steep. i am still on a budget.

Yea unfortunately you cant get them for less then that. If you are using two engines then why bother removing the governor or getting a billet rod. Youll get to speed very fast, hav alot of power and if you want top speed change the gearing rather then the rpm. This would save you money.

i didn't see this part when i posted before.

if you remove the governor, get billet rods and the 18lb springs. there's no point in swapping carbs if you aren't also going to put headers on the engines.
i will be making custom headers for the motors. so get the 18lb spring? how much trouble is it 2 install the parts?

Yea unfortunately you cant get them for less then that. If you are using two engines then why bother removing the governor or getting a billet rod. Youll get to speed very fast, hav alot of power and if you want top speed change the gearing rather then the rpm. This would save you money.
good point. but i currently have the clones on all of my other bikes except 1. i know that they run wild when theyre stock. i wanted a little more umph so i decided to run two motors on my trike but i dont know what kind of performance i will get when they are on the same jackshaft. i do know what a single motor runs like and i figure if both somehow only end up with the same speed and torque as just 1 at least the parts would give me a little more than stock so i wouldnt be quite so dissapointed. but then i could sell those two and buy a 11 hp clone and get all the power that i want.

ps. another reason is that i like having my bikes geared for top end and low end but for the life of me cant figure out how to calculate the gearing with two motors on a single jackshaft then to a single sprocket on the differential. if anyone could help me with the tech info, it would be greatly appreciated and would help a fellow rider save alot of cash.

I just got my new American Power Sporting catalog and there caring a lot of stuff for the clones engines know at a good price including the ACR billet rods. Shipping would be a lot faster to Michigan.There around Cleveland Ohio.

alright. so after my last i found a gear ratio calculator, but i can figure out how what numbers should i input. for the engine do i put the total number of teeth for both clutches and the same goes ? for the jack shaft in? also what would be the ideal gear ratio for street riding?

http://www.affordablegokarts.com/Jack Shaft Ratio's Cust 0109.xls
both motors have the same gears all you have to do is in put one motor from the clutch to the axle and there is your gear rate .

Thanks everyone for the advice. after a night of hard thinking ive decided that i wont mod the motors. 845mx5 brought a very good point to my attention, the dual 6.5s should be good enough to hold me until the race motor for my ruttman is ready. hey after all i will need something to just cruise on this summer and the trike will be a flash and mash already. i mean i got close to 50 mph with just 1 stock clone with the governor bypassed. so again thanks for the advice 845mx5, Strigoi, Metal man, Minibikedude, and Oldphoker. by the way cool pic Phocker it really made me lol. and by the way i have about 6 minis for sale in SE Michigan if anyone is interested, some just frames 1 complete and 3 that need engine work. prices vary will post pics in for sale section later