Rupp seat lettering size, Roadster2 brake light switch, chrome fender question etc.

I picked up a nice Roadster2 with a working headlight system :)
It needs a brake light switch. There are just two wires hanging near the brake lever. I see a Roadster2 has a different part number for the brake cable. Is the switch built into the cable?

What years used the small seat lettering size and what years used the tall seat lettering size?
I want to get the correct seat cover for it, someone put a different seat cover on it.

Also. Did ALL Roadster2's come with a chrome front fender? Or did some years come with a painted front fender?
I'm trying to figure out what year mine is. It has black painted fenders both front and rear but I think someone may have painted them. It has a red gas tank but again, it could be painted or perhaps replaced.
The guy I got it from says he thinks it is a 74. There isn't a serial number sticker under the seat foam...

Here are a couple picts of it. Oh. he does have a new tail light for it. It runs good, rides good and the light works.
I need to figure out if I should restore it and paint it, or , just clean it up and sell it as is.
Thanks
Danford1

File_007 (9).jpeg File_007 (10).jpeg

markus

The late models had the totally 70's paint jobs on them, full painted fenders front and rear with matching striping, seats were small western script. I thnk there were 3 colors? I can only think of the magenta and Brown, I thought there was another one too though. Member Gammatag had posted a good photo of the location of the stamped on numbers on those frames, I swear it was in a thread you started about rupps so may want to go back and check that out. Brake switch is slipped between the adjuster and cable up at the handle, It can be bought on its own on the later model bikes, but the cable needs to be in good shape so it can slip in and out of the casing to install.

One of my old bikes (1975) it was rough as it came off an Island here in SW FL but ran good! If you click on the photos you can see the brake switch pretty good etc..

capguncowboy

Looks like a 74 or 75 that's been repainted. I'm not sure if the 5 in the serial number you found indicates 75 or not. Maybe someone else can say?

What's the serial stamped on top of the engine? If it starts with a 5, then it's a '75 model - 4 would be '74 and so on.

Nice find though. Looks like a good bike to work with

Looks like a 74 or 75 that's been repainted. I'm not sure if the 5 in the serial number you found indicates 75 or not. Maybe someone else can say?

What's the serial stamped on top of the engine? If it starts with a 5, then it's a '75 model - 4 would be '74 and so on.

Nice find though. Looks like a good bike to work with
Here is the engine info. Was 75 the last year for the Roadster2? Does that make it more valuable if it is a 75?
Where do I go to find a brochure for 75? I want to know the color combo it came with.

Danford1

PS When I take it apart I can look in areas that might have the factory color like on the bottom of the gas tank etc. I can sand thru the paint in places and see what I find.
File_000 (52).jpeg

Last edited:
That's one of the later serial numbers I have seen on the later style frames. Your tank and fenders would have either been brown or magenta just like the factory photo Markus shows. All of the bikes I have seen in this style (not that I'm an expert) have started with 560 in the serial number.

capguncowboy

The serial on the engine confirms the bike is a 1975. If it's original to the bike (and it appears to be), then your bike is a final production year. I don't know that it makes the bike any more valuable. Rupp had made well over 125,000 mini bikes by that point in time.

Thanks for the info. So,I know we can not ask what is it worth etc but I have a question I should be able to ask.
If I were to paint this to sell it, what color is more valuable or easier to sell, brown or magenta?

Danford1

Last edited:
Ok Thanks. I'll have to look for the original color somewhere hidden on the bike.
Now, How do I find the correct Brown or Magenta color code?
Danford1