Ruttman Spyder tire sze?

Hello,

I am looking for the proper tire sizes for a Ruttman Spyder. I have seen some with the front and rear tire sizes being the same but I am looking for the sizes when the larger diameter rear tire is used. Any help and input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
BBT

Thanks Cheezy. I tried that and no clearance with the rear fender at all. Tire will not move. Do you know if the Cheng Shin are larger then the older Carlisle of the same size? It is a short frame Spyder, does that matter at all?

Thanks,
Greg

Thanks Cheezy. I tried that and no clearance with the rear fender at all. Tire will not move. Do you know if the Cheng Shin are larger then the older Carlisle of the same size? It is a short frame Spyder, does that matter at all?

Thanks,
Greg
Your welcome Sir. But It must be like mrpat said...the fender height on the Spyder and Wildgoose are the same and the Toad and Vulture are the same...lower. The Carslisle and all those size tires are basically the same size.

markus

Greg, do you have a 4.00x6" knobby to try? In the Ruttman catalog specs they list that as being the rear on the Spyder with the different tire sizes. They are truly smaller (but not by too much) than a 5.30x4.50 6" tires are. either that or a 14x6 trials would be comparable to the 4.00x6" (I see you are looking for one in the classifieds so that may mean you don;t have one)

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help and the input. I am going to try and upload a photo to show you the 5:30 on this frame.

Going to try now.

Thx again,
Greg

Greg, do you have a 4.00x6" knobby to try? In the Ruttman catalog specs they list that as being the rear on the Spyder with the different tire sizes. They are truly smaller (but not by too much) than a 5.30x4.50 6" tires are. either that or a 14x6 trials would be comparable to the 4.00x6" (I see you are looking for one in the classifieds so that may mean you don;t have one)
Fender height is still the same no matter the rear tire size though...never changed.

Oh..and I guess the style of rim will matter too...4 spokes are only 4'' wide and the 5 spokes are 4.5'' wide...so the size will vary from 4'' to 4.5'' on the tires. I gave you the closest for the 5 spoke size. My bad..lol

Here is the mini I am referring to. The fenders were bought from Frank Mathison @ OSM. I guess my easy way out is looking for a 400 x 6 or 14 x 6. Let me know after looking at photos. Thanks again. Greg

Last edited:
When you get a chance get a measurement on the fender height from center of axle bolt. And considering those new style 5 spokes are only 4'' wide..you may still have a clearance issue.

I never thought of that. I actually swapped the original Ruttman wheels with those newer since they looked better. Never thought about width.

Will let you know tomorrow.

Thanks a lot!
Greg

markus

Looking at that one pic with the fender on it looks like its hitting on the front? Like the curve of the fender is tighter than the circumference of the tire, Plus the fender mount strap looks to have been tweaked a bit over the years. Might want to make some tweaks to the fender to see if you can get a wider curve, I've been able to achieve that by using a 220lb "Markus press"......standing on the top of the fender while its on the ground :laugh:

I took a comparison shot between a 4.00x6" Knobby (what Ruttman used) and the 5.30x4.50 6" Universal. Both aired up to 20psi mounted different wheels but same widths. You can see there is a height difference, but like I said not really that much, It may be enough worst case, but I think you should be able to get that 5.30 in there with some tweaks after seeing your pics. Seems like I have seen it done with the universal treads in the past on the Ruttmans, of course they did briefly make the rounded universal in the 4.00x6" size too, think the MTD bikes may have used them on the fronts if I remember correctly.

(Ruttman used) the Carslile 530 on bikes and choppers also..again depending on the rim. The biggest question before anything is..which rims are you gonna run and stick with or if you wanna be "build correct" or not. Then you can go with the tire that goes to whatever rim you choose. And the bracket...until there are measurements..no clue if it is correct placement or not.

Last edited:
I am building it as a rider for my kids. I am going to try and find a 14 6 Coker or similar in new cond. I will still take the measurement from axle hole to fender mount as requested and post later tonight. I am curious to know. Worst case is disassemble it, move bracket up and have powder coated again. First I am going to kick myself for not mocking it up before.

Thank you again,
Greg

I am building it as a rider for my kids. I am going to try and find a 14 6 Coker or similar in new cond. I will still take the measurement from axle hole to fender mount as requested and post later tonight. I am curious to know. Worst case is disassemble it, move bracket up and have powder coated again. First I am going to kick myself for not mocking it up before.

Thank you again,
Greg
My original one I re-did for my daughter was all mocked up for the guy to weld new axle mounts and fender mounts...he moved the rear one and after he powder coated it I noticed it as I went to assemble it. I left it and put a smaller tire on it..shit happens,lol

Appreciate the help and info. If I can ever be of any assistance here on Long Island or 5 boros of NY just sent a PM and I have you covered.

Thanks again,
Greg