Sachs Saxonette 47cc Engine Noise

I have just rebuilt the Sachs 47cc engine on my 1972 Arctic Cat Prowler and I need some expert ears to give me some feedback.

I went through every square inch and replaced the crank, bearings, seals and installed new clutch disks for first and second gear. I was careful to check the tolerances where possible and adjust shims accordingly. Exhaust is NOS.

My concern is that I hear what could be described as a ticking noise when it's running. I can crank it over slowly by hand and occasionally hear the noise but it only happens occasionally by hand. There is no repeatable spot in the rotation. I know that everything in the crank, arm, and piston is practically brand new. There is no slop in this engine other than a slight wiggle in the clutch disk housing but I think it's close to specs. I don't recall if this is the normal sound of this engine as I haven't had it running since 1983.

Does anyone out there with one of these engines care to comment on the sound of this engine? Is it normal? The timing is set to specs but I suppose it could be a bit off or advanced. The engine has good power. Does it sound like it's pinging? Shifting from first to second is a bit hesitant, especially uphill. Top end bogs a tiny bit on full-throttle but not terrible. Spark plug color looks to be a good medium brown. With the plug out, pulling the recoil is fairly silent. The plug is NOS and is not contacting the piston. Is it just the noise from the reed valve?

Take a look and listen here:
1972 Arctic Cat Prowler Minibike - YouTube

Thanks for the input! BTW, this was my son's FIRST minibike ride and boy was he excited. His first words after the ride were "That was Awesome!". I think he's hooked. Definitely a future new member for the forum.

MB165

It doesnt sound bad riding it, only idle is a little noisy. I remember mine wasnt that noisy, but it was a NOS engine too so maybe that clutch makes more racket as it wears.
I dont think its ping or preignition. That would get worse as RPMs increased.
Some things id check if it were mine:
Be sure the piston is not contacting the head and or head gasket
ensure the piston to cyl clearance is good
remove the L. side cover and quickly rock the flywheel back and forth in differant locations, be sure it cant start.
ensure the connecting rod is in spec and not bent, its aluminum right?

Thanks for the advice. I don't think the piston is contacting the head and there's no head gasket. The crank and rod (yes, aluminum) are from an NOS engine and have 0 wear on them. The cylinder is old but the bore looks great and I think it is still in spec, although I'll be honest, I didn't have the right ID gauge to check it in all directions and locations throughout the cylinder. If I rock the flywheel back and forth I can occasionally get the noise but I just can't repeat it easily or put my finger on where it's originating.

To me it sounds like the piston flopping around in the cylinder but I think the piston was in spec. It was new back in the early 80's but I didn't put too many miles on it back then before it went into storage for 30 years.

If I get ambitious I'll pull the cylinder back off and borrow something to measure it properly. If I had to guess though, I'd say both the bore and piston are in acceptable range.

It does behave as it used to back in the day - more power when it's cold than when it's been running a while. Thoughts?

I've got an NOS engine I'll be throwing on my '71 Prowler. I guess I'll find out if it sounds the same.

MB165

My bet is incorrect piston to cylinder clearance.
A little cylinder like that id guess would have a factory new spec of .0018-.0025" clearance.

MB165 - You win the prize!

I pulled the cylinder and measured the piston, along with another I have. Both were 1.491" Dia. I measured the cylinder bore and it was 1.509". Obviously that's a problem with 0.018" slop. I measured a NOS cylinder (had a spare) and it was 1.496". Looks like 0.005" is the intended clearance.

The cylinder I had was old, even when I got the bike back in 1980. I remember buying a new piston back then but at age 13, who knows or cares about a dial caliper? I just wanted to ride. :laugh: Someone must have bored it out before I bought it.

I put the NOS cylinder on with the same old piston and it is whisper quiet. Thanks for the advice!!! :thumbsup:

New video for comparison:

1972 Arctic Cat Prowler - New Cylinder & Head - YouTube

MB165

wow that is a big differance. Those small bores need to be tight.
It looks really nice, good work!:thumbsup:

Last edited: