Saving these old minibikes

jeep4me

It just occurred to me.... in 25, 30 ....40 years, do you think there'll be guys out there saving these old minibikes that a lot of you are restoring today?

I know most of these bikes never made it out of the 70's and 80's and were lost to who knows what. But with the computer age growing so rapidly, I don't see the much of the younger people getting into this hobby.

So many small engine things are made now just to use until they don't run anymore and throw them away, then buy another.

It just occurred to me.... in 25, 30 ....40 years, do you think there'll be guys out there saving these old minibikes that a lot of you are restoring today?
For the most part, no. Those of us who were alive back in the day will pass on. They'll be around, but greatly devalued, and some of them will be modified and sporting whatever current brand of power plant is cheapest. Kinda like what is happening now, only worse.

The exact same thing is happening in the collector automotive market/hobby and it widely discussed, as well as on the vintage karting forums. Going even deeper, in the collector car business, resto-mods are becoming just as valuable as original cars, unless the original is a very rare, very original machine.

I have wondered about this too at times. Not only that but what will happen to the bikes we have and restored when we pass on. I thought about willing mine to the motorcycle museum in Anamosia,Iowa.

1971_MB1A

I totally agree with Havasu Dave. For example all original model t fords use to be hot like 25 or so years ago but those guys are all gone now therefore there's no market for them other than maybe for a drag car,rat rod,street rod custom build etc.

I just had this very conversation wit Kenny (ksb8ball). Havasu Dave, that was exactly the tone of the chat. When we who grew up with them are gone...well...that's it. They will always be around but there simply won't be a market. I have seen this with Lionel trains. My collection is worth about half of what it was in 1980 and still falling. I used to blame eBay for the drop in value but the reality is these young adults didn't grow up with the stuff and could care less. My Mother left an extensive collection of Hummels and I would be lucky to get 10 dollars for most of them. So...knowing this stuff won't be valuable in the future, I figure the heck with it. I do it because I love it and I'll let the kids figure out what to do with the stuff when I am gone. I guess I could spend my money on other things but drugs and alcohol just don't interest me that much. Kenny and I just figure the world changes and each generation has it's unique collectibles.

Doc

Last edited:
I guess I could spend my money on other things but drugs and alcohol just don't interest me that much. Kenny and I just figure the world changes and each generation has it's unique collectibles. Doc
LOL... Drugs? Heck yeah, I currently have five different prescriptions. I limit my alcohol however, with no more than 18 per day!

I think we all make the assumption that what we're in to, collecting, etc. is somehow timeless. After all, we've been "into" it our entire lives. When I speak to my younger brother about my mini bike projects on the phone, going into great detail with plans, paint, fabrication, etc. I can "feel" his eyeballs glazing over right over the telephone. He's 50, and doesn't feel it, and thinks a 1980-something is vintage. Doesn't make him wrong either.

That's the reason I hang out on this web site. In my real life, no one around me cares one bit about these. They are invisible, and any comments I get are because I pretty much ride to a friend's house, and make them come out and look at my latest creation. LOL.

I just had this very conversation wit Kenny (ksb8ball). I used to blame eBay for the drop in value but the reality is these young adults didn't grow up with the stuff and could care less. I do it because I love it and I'll let the kids figure out what to do with the stuff when I am gone. Each generation has it's unique collectibles. Doc
Doc, you pretty much hit everything on point. I've had this conversation many times over the last dozen or so years in about every facet of collecting I've been involved in. First was redline Hot Wheels. I had met this young kid about 5 or 6 years ago that was actually a very heavy collector of good and rare versions. I'd guess he was around late teens early 20s considering he had just started college at the time. After about 2 years of talking to him, he says to me one day I think I'm going to start selling my collection. The reason, because he wondered who would be interested in them in the future. When a young collector decides that at the moment then you know it really isn't going to gain in popularity. More recently I got to meet a guy that my dad was good friends with. For years he kept telling my dad to bring me out and see his collection of cars and memorabilia. Well, we finally made it out a few months ago. The unfortunate thing was that he had sold all his cars and about half to 3/4 of his memorabilia. You ask why, he told us that he didn't want his wife and family to have to deal with it. It was large and very substantial. I think about what he did before I met him and still do all the time. The bottom line is that if you don't do it because you love it, you might as well just save your money and enjoy the things that don't require having all this stuff sitting around. Mini bikes are a great thing because they are a portal to doing things such as going to the mini bike reunion and having an experience other than collecting. As far as new generations with unique collectibles, I'd agree with that. The ones out looking for the next best thing to buy and sell are trying to figure out what that is all the time. Me, I just love the stuff I grew up on and will enjoy it for as long as I can.

And Dave, I feel the same way about the other people around me at times. I get the eye balls rolling when I bring another one home. There just isn't anyone near me (that I know of) that is interested in the hobby. Although my older brother has taken an interest in the early Honda Trail stuff (since that's what he had) but it's not the same as being able to talk and do mini bike stuff. He does help me out with them though so it's a plus. But in general we are at large by ourselves in these interests.

Last edited:
I dunno I think they might become ever more rare and valuable. Like the old stationary engines. Sure the old guys are all dieing off but why are they getting so expensive? Hoarders buying them up? Lots of young guys collect old chainsaws too. Just because theres nobody around you that seems to care doesnt mean there isnt anyone thats into them. Sure theyre not as hot as they were in the day but that goes for anything. Old stuff will always be collectable. Even if its just a breif intrest for some people. And minibikes are more fun than many other collectables because you can ride them and easily update them. Old bicycles and motorcycles. Anything with wheels that appeals to guys. The reason you dont see original model Ts anymore is because there all tucked away in museums and private collections. People dont have access to them anymore so they lost their popularity.

I think Jeep that we are seeing the peak of minibikes. We aren't 90+ years old yet and we are still here to drive the market. We arrive at an age (and I say this as a group and not in specific terms) where we have the disposable income to relive our childhood if you will. I guarantee you that my 18 month old Granddaughter and her insignificant other won't give a damn about these things. Our time is coming and I believe the bubble will burst. We just aren't there yet and us old timers are just speculating out of experience watching everything else we cared about begin to have their bubble pop. (I am not sure of your age, you may be an old timer to lol!!:laugh:) I can tell you that living where I am for 43 years we are seeing the young generations move in and there are kids on the street here again. Not one of them has asked to take a bike for a ride. Not one of them watches me ride by. That's concerning to me. When I was their age, I would have drove you beyond crazy to get on one of these things. I could say the same for every other kid in the neighborhood I grew up in too, including some of the girls. Not so today.

Doc

Last edited:
But in general we are at large by ourselves in these interests. very true Ajax but for me at age 59 i started collecting last May buying a 90's lil indian for $200. and the sickness was on, between minis go karts and a cpl trikes i have about 30 and im having a blast i go down in my basement and become Dr Frankenstein lol i come out ride these creations around my neighborhood and my neighbors laugh there asses off and think im wacked along with my girlfriend witch i will say is 25 yrs younger baaaaa hahahahahaaha... i also organized mini bike,trike flat track oval and tt races you can see in events, that helped get people a place to have some fun. its like anything it will run its course and will be what it is.

LOL... Drugs? Heck yeah, I currently have five different prescriptions. I limit my alcohol however, with no more than 18 per day!

I think we all make the assumption that what we're in to, collecting, etc. is somehow timeless. After all, we've been "into" it our entire lives. When I speak to my younger brother about my mini bike projects on the phone, going into great detail with plans, paint, fabrication, etc. I can "feel" his eyeballs glazing over right over the telephone. He's 50, and doesn't feel it, and thinks a 1980-something is vintage. Doesn't make him wrong either.

That's the reason I hang out on this web site. In my real life, no one around me cares one bit about these. They are invisible, and any comments I get are because I pretty much ride to a friend's house, and make them come out and look at my latest creation. LOL.
Hell Dave I can't even do that anymore around here cause, when Doug was up here at the first of the month the old people across the street called the law on us . Two police cars came to my house and pretty much said it all stops now . They were cool about it and enjoyed seeing the bikes , but no more cruising the neighborhood. Fuc old people ,hope I don't get that way when I'am older .

I was thinking about this the other day. The kids now a days don't collect anything. You can see on the forum that there are very few youngsters with any interest. I would also say that the market is at its peak. Adults that couldn't afford or wasn't a loud to have a mini bike when they was kids, now have great jobs and can buy what ever they want. I figure I am dumping everything in 10 years.:laugh:

buckeye

Heck I don't know? ?

The interest is waning, I guess?
That is why, after attending Windber, knew I had to do something closer so more people could be exposed.
I know I have personally seen all ages get on the things and when they get off all you see is smiles. And they go away wanting one. And get one.:thumbsup:

I guess there may be less interest because kids have not much interest in being outside. Let alone having to work on something.:doah:
That may come from their fathers working to pay for the three cars and two houses?
Not time to teach their sons and daughters how to fix stuff.
Nope, head down to Walfart and get ya a new one.
So, the kids live in their rooms and in front of their computers talking to their imaginary friends.

Anyone want to buy all my bikes but 3?:laugh:

Heck I don't know? ?

The interest is waning, I guess?
That is why, after attending Windber, knew I had to do something closer so more people could be exposed.
I know I have personally seen all ages get on the things and when they get off all you see is smiles. And they go away wanting one. And get one.:thumbsup:

I guess there may be less interest because kids have not much interest in being outside. Let alone having to work on something.:doah:
That may come from their fathers working to pay for the three cars and two houses?
Not time to teach their sons and daughters how to fix stuff.
Nope, head down to Walfart and get ya a new one.
So, the kids live in their rooms and in front of their computers talking to their imaginary friends.

Anyone want to buy all my bikes but 3?:laugh:

Maybe there's hope. I am 35 yr old and grew up in the 80's and 90's. I didn't even know mini bikes existed until I was an adult. I don't remember any of my friends growing up owning a mini bike and I live in a rural area in southwest Minnesota. We rode many 3-wheelers and somehow survived those death traps. I stumbled across this site a few years ago and just lurked as a guest for a while before buying my first bike in 2014. I don't buy them at the blistering pace as some others on here but I'm up to 4 bikes now and I have no plans of stopping. I have two daughters and a step son between the ages of 7 and 11 and they all like to ride mini bikes. As was stated earlier in this thread; Anyone that takes a mini bike for a ride always comes back with a smile on their face. I've seen it many times. I personally like restoring these bikes. There's a certain satisfaction in putting the effort into the restoration process and getting a great result. I plan to continue this hobby as long as I can. I guess if you all are right about this being the "peak" then I won't have as much competition when the good ones come up for sale:scooter:

Great topic guys. I just turned 50 and And I can see the interest peaking at some point. Hopefully not to soon. I do think that the ease of finding,transporting, fixing and storing them makes minis a great collectible. The fact that there were so many manufactures and styles keeps it interesting. You can still find a good one for short money. I have 7 in various stages of repair and storage. I do really enjoy them. My son was home sick today and I spent 6 hours finishing up my last project. They will live on forever because so many guys on this site took the time to save them. many are museum quality and will live another 40-50 years They have a look and style that will never be repeated and most of them were made in the US. I didn't start collecting them for profit so I don't care if they increase in value. If I could I would buy one of each and preserve them in a museum, but that isn't happening.