Sears mini bike fork disassembly

Lon

I'm getting ready to sandblast my bike. I want to take the forks apart to get all the paint/primer off and to unseize them. Or should I just go ahead and blast them as is. Pic below is the bike I'm working on. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

capguncowboy

Those are really simple. The spring holds the strut onto the forks. Just remove the wheel and unscrew it. I would definitely take it apart if you're going to be blasting it. That sand has a tendency to get into every nook and cranny.

BTW, nice bike. Start a build thread so we can watch your progress

capguncowboy

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. I think I read somewhere that those should be cut to disassemble, then welded back afterwards. If I'm not mistaken, a fender should cover one of those two braces. Were there two braces originally?

Better hold off on cutting anything until someone with some experience dealing with those forks can chime in.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. I think I read somewhere that those should be cut to disassemble, then welded back afterwards. If I'm not mistaken, a fender should cover one of those two braces. Were there two braces originally?

Better hold off on cutting anything until someone with some experience dealing with those forks can chime in.
You don't have to cut them. Just grab the spring and twist them out of the cups.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/strictly-us-vintage/87205-nice-original-bbbbird-2.html

If they are siezed you are gonna have to cut them in my opinion plus it makes it easier too , it appears that those fender mounts may have been added as there should only be one and they are also supposed to be shaped like the fender so the fender can mount over the top of it , Cut them in the center ( that way a small weld can put them back together ) then get some pvc pipe and caps , fill em with PB Blaster and submerge the forks for a few days then you can use a large crescent wrench on the end of fork lower where the axle hole is and work on turning the fork lower off the upper strut !
these pica are just a little reference , they are off an ElTigre and were really tore up , I actually had to make all new lowers and uppers , good luck !