Sears Runabout build

This is my first post here. I am going to be restoring a few bikes this year, this one is the first. I believe it is a Runabout.

image.jpg

The model number on the silver debossed tag is 803 80711. The only reason I am not positive it is a runabout is the provision for a chain cover and rear fender.

I have started the teardown. The tires are stuck on the wheel halves, I will probably make a form out of wood and use my arbor press to try and get them off.

image.jpg

Here is the engine I am probably going to use.

image.jpg

MCF2891

Welcome to the fun!!! It looks like you do have a runabout. Sears bikes are usually pretty easy to restore. Good Luck!

Could it be a Bird with it having a Sears tag?
It's a Bird for sure and Sears tag likely is a Runabout , Birds were sold mainly by Sears and Pennys , there were a lot of little changes depending on year and who they were branded for , cool little bikes all the same !!

I did some more work last night. The engine had very low compression, it turns out the intake valve was closing too late. I adjusted the lash and got it running. But, it was blowing a lot of white smoke. Checked the oil, yep it was milky gray. Water must have got in the crankcase somehow in it's previous life. New oil and it runs great with very little smoke.

I spent some time wire wheeling the rust and loose paint off. Anyone know what the tab on the rear of the frame is for?

image.jpg14_zpsqlfelk9s.jpg