Sears Runabout- Original Color Orange? Original Engine 2 1/2 hp side popper?

Did the sears runabout ever have original orange paint? If so what year(s)?

And was the original 2 1/2 hp engine a side popper?

Original pics of above appreciated

Hey OldCarbX,

You know, I do not know for sure, but often wonder.

And here is why for me...the very first mini bike I ever rode, was a small sears bike that one of my friends had....and to the best of my recollection, it was a small displacement motor, more than likely a 2.5...and I remember it being an orange type color. That would have been in/around 1969 or 1970.

I am thinking it was a Bird Mfg frame....like a Wren, but it was definately branded Sears.

Perhaps some of the experts will chime in on this and let us know.

Thanks

Last edited:
The early model Bird Wren/Sears Runabout did come with a 2.5 Lauson -Power Products side popper and diaphragm carb . I have an original paint Sears Runabout and it is more of a red orange color , Bird offered the Wren with or with out paint . Also with or with out motor and you put it together . Not exactly sure on the years . But mid to late 60's is what I think .

I have a picture of a couple of my original paint Bird mini bikes for you to look at . From the left is a JC Penney Golden Pinto , 2nd is a Bird Sprite , 3rd is the Sears Runabout and a 4 th is a JC Penney El Tigre . I got the Runabout with the Briggs on it . The owner swears he got the bike like that . Could have been purchased without a motor and that is what they put on it . You can see the Runabout has a little red in the orange paint compared to the orange on the Sprite . The Runabout was the cheap one that did not have fenders on it . Hope this helps you .