Setting up Live Axle

Do Live axles require threads and a nut on the ends to keep everything in place or can this be achieve with a bearing set screw and a lock collar?

lock collar will work but they can work loose ask kkk. So use a good quality one and grind some flat spots on the axle for the set screw to seat and use lock tite on the threads

use double split locking collars
What he said.

The live axle for my buildoff bike is using the locknuts provided as the shaft is threaded at the ends. If your shaft is threaded, no reason not to use the locknuts.

The double split collars are better than standard set screw style.

Yup as all have said above , I have used set screws many times and allways have trouble getting them tight , a flat spot on the shaft helps or even a dimmple with a drill bit.
Another trick is to tighten it up then thread a second one in on top of it to keep it from backing out.

Awesome, thanks for the replies. The reason I asked is because I want pick up some keyed shaft and cut it to whatever length I need.

Split lock collar on outside of each bearing. On the bearing collar set screw, like big rob said, remove the set screw and run a drill bit through threaded hole to make dimple in axle. Small amount of red locktight on set screw and re install. Raced karts for years with 3 Gs of lateral force. Always held fine

One key to keeping it locked is simply the set screw choice,,if you upgrade to a Knurled Cup pt. rather than a standard Cup pt. it will lock down much better. If you decide to drill a pilot hole I would suggest a Dog pt. set screw to set in hole and as mentioned above...always use loctite. Don't be afraid to twist off a hex key (allen wrench) when seating a set screw either,they're made to break flush with broach in screw.

usually that doesnt work because the set screw isnt long enough and if it jams up on the sides it will mess up the threads and the keyway so you cant back it out and youll strip the hex and then your screwed. So thats definatly not the ideal situation :smile:

usually that doesnt work because the set screw isnt long enough and if it jams up on the sides it will mess up the threads and the keyway so you cant back it out and youll strip the hex and then your screwed. So thats definatly not the ideal situation :smile:
ten four

You can usually get longer set screws at your local hardware store. I just got some 1/2" long for my sprocket holder. They had them up to 1" long in 1/4"-20 thread.