Ski-doo 670 on my owosso trike.

So who thinks it would be a terrible idea to put a ski-doo 670 engine on my owosso trike ? The 8 HP I have will not take a torque converter as there are no bolt holes on the side cover for it to mount to. So, the next best thing, a big ass engine that already has one on it ! A guy has it for sale locally for $300. Anybody see any problems that I don't besides some modifications for re-mounting ? Oh an obviously too much raw HP. lol :hammer:

Just because the engine does not have the bolt holes doesn't mean you can't use a TAV. You just need to use a jackshaft mounted to the frame of the trike. Therein lies the rub, is there room or a place that you could weld supports on to mount a jackshaft? :shrug:

Paul

oh ya, theres already holes so you can run a jackshaft. So what your saying is that the plate is only for the driven pulley ?? I'm an idiot !!!! No different than a sled clutch I guess. The clutch goes right on the shaft anyways. Wow. My brain has been a super malfunction these last couple weeks. As soon as you said that a 1000W halogen kicked on in my head. Thanks paul ! :eek:ut:

Just ordered my TAV2 from OldMiniBikes warehouse ! Looked on ebay and found some much cheaper, but I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. Also, I know I can go to OldMiniBikes warehouse and get parts as well !!! I can't wait to get this unit. After I get it, I need to make a jackshaft and some cables and she should be ready to rip. Then it will be disassembly time and off to the paint booth !

A 670 has so much torque, they are very powerful. Just hope they start on the first pull, because pulling them over is a task in its self. Sounds like a fun project, but should be a wild ride for sure. Pictures please!! :thumbsup:

I opted out of going with the 670. I'm dangerous to myself, and I don't need any help. For instance, two weekends ago I was trying to ride a wheelie on my mini bike, and i did. When I landed I didn't have the tire straight and then I rode an endo with my face not so gently greeting the ground. Got a huge cut on my leg from dragging it across the handle bar or the foot peg or something. haha. It would have been the perfect video for a description in the dictionary called ass over apple cart. :scooter:

oh ya, theres already holes so you can run a jackshaft. So what your saying is that the plate is only for the driven pulley ?? I'm an idiot !!!! No different than a sled clutch I guess. The clutch goes right on the shaft anyways. Wow. My brain has been a super malfunction these last couple weeks. As soon as you said that a 1000W halogen kicked on in my head. Thanks paul ! :eek:ut:
Well, the driven pulley and the final driver sprocket to the rear axle. What is nice about the TAV setup is it is one complete, bolt-on transmission unit that does not require any modification to the frame itself because everything bolts to the engine and all you have to do is run a chain from the sprocket to the axle (or, as on a mini-bike, rear wheel sprocket). In your case, you need the TAV pulleys, but will have to use a separate jackshaft that is mounted to the kart frame. Works exactly the same in practice.

Paul

You dont need the backing plate for the TAV2... Just the driver on the shaft and the driven mounts to the frame...Save the backing plate for a minibike down the road...

BIGGER IS BETTER...lawn power just aint cuttin it.

I opted out of going with the 670. I'm dangerous to myself, and I don't need any help. For instance, two weekends ago I was trying to ride a wheelie on my mini bike, and i did. When I landed I didn't have the tire straight and then I rode an endo with my face not so gently greeting the ground. Got a huge cut on my leg from dragging it across the handle bar or the foot peg or something. haha. It would have been the perfect video for a description in the dictionary called ass over apple cart. :scooter:
IM AT A SLOW PACE DOING A TRISPORT WITH A 700 Watercool Articat motor be about 120h.p. with pipes... using rocket bike brakes, etc.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
670 & 700cc would be a bit to tangle with but, could be done. I put a 340cc twin Kawasaki snowmobile engine into my old Columbia.

As for your jackshaft, I'd go 3/4 OR 1" ..