slicks feel unstable??

well I bought two slicks for my mini and with both of them on I feel on the verge of wrecking at any speed, so I took the front off and I still think the back feels just wrong?? this is my first bike and slicks. is this just the way they feel??

they are so flat when you barely turn they want to track towards the turn.

I really like the way they look and grip but damn, they just dont feel safe at all.

any advise???? thanks.

Oldsalt

well I bought two slicks for my mini and with both of them on I feel on the verge of wrecking at any speed, so I took the front off and I still think the back feels just wrong?? this is my first bike and slicks. is this just the way they feel??

they are so flat when you barely turn they want to track towards the turn.

I really like the way they look and grip but damn, they just dont feel safe at all.

any advise???? thanks.
IT IS NOT SAFE!!! Flat bottom tires are COMPLETELY wrong for a two wheeler which depends upon reasonable rake/trail/wheelbase/tire diameter/tire pressure/tread type/and etc. numbers to be stable. Really wide flat bottom tires, such as slicks, will screw things up FOR SURE. Good that you took off the front before something serious happened. And as you noted, it still exhibits spooky handling with the wide slick still at the rear. Also as you noted "..when you barely turn they want to track towards the turn". This induced steering is trying to find a place to start a high-speed-wobble. If you don't believe me you can find out for sure at what speed the wobble will start by simply rideing at increasingly higher speed. Make sure you have health insurance and perhaps it would be best to get your will updated.

If anyone wishes to argue with the above I would ask that before they post a "I never had any trouble" type reply. Get some literature on motorcycle design/engineering and give it a brief reading.

yea they are both gone and I am going to sell them on craigs. but I see them on alot of bikes?? I dont know if these bikes are just drag minis or what?? I was trying to find some tires that would fit that are like the mini rocket tires but with no luck, but yea they came off before I got over 10 mph.

when I ordered them I thought they were going to be round sided but now I think they are more for karts.

i'm running a squared off slick on the back of my Cat. it took a little getting used to but now it doesn't bother me at all. i have no issues with turning running it. it feels fine doing 35+mph in a straight line.

edit: where i ride, i do turn when going 35mph at times.

Last edited:

Oldsalt

Ya. The rear tire being flat bottomed is not near the problem as running one up front but it does tend to screw up things if going high speed is on the menu. That seems to be the common experience with mini sized bikes. It's too bad that some sizes of mini bike tires are hard to get in anything but with flat bottoms. Best used for casters and hand trucks...the market for mini tires is rather limited so that isn't gonna change.

i have a slick on the rear of my mini if you look at my photos in my profile you`ll see my slick is round and it rides fine in the turns all flat tires ride like crap stick wiht round tires i got mine at tractor supply for 20.00 bucks