Slicks for DB Wheels

Im looking for a pair of slicks to put on my Doodlebug wheels, has anyone done this before? If so where did you get your tires?

Or could someone tell me the size of the DB's wheels so I know what sick slick to look for. Any info would be great.

Nick

tires for dbs

i ride my db on the street and was going through alot of tire till i went with the ribbed tire from "willards small engines" only like $20 apiece great grip on the street but little on the street.

Strigoi I remember seeing a thread where you had to fab ur a new rear wheel. I just want to throw the tire on, that's that. Do you know what size tire I need? 4.5-5 Inch wide and 6 Inches tall?

Ill probably get the same tire you have from tractor supply, why dont you recommend a slick for the front? No traction im guessing?

hey strigoi is correct the slick he has 13x5x6 from TS will work on that rim with no mods just put a tube in tire . those tires are not as tall as the db30 tires so you will lose speed ! there is only a couple of inches difference between them in height but it makes a big difference in the gear ratio and just so you know the mini won't handle the same as the stock tires. good luck

125ccCrazy

here is a chart so you can pick the correct width and heigth size tire for your wheel....
Azusa Tires & Wheels

Strigoi I remember seeing a thread where you had to fab ur a new rear wheel. I just want to throw the tire on, that's that. Do you know what size tire I need? 4.5-5 Inch wide and 6 Inches tall?

Ill probably get the same tire you have from tractor supply, why dont you recommend a slick for the front? No traction im guessing?
No, he said don't get a sqaure shoulder tire for the front, if you want a slick get a rounded edge, the sqaure tread will cause the front end to roll up on the shoulder and cause the rest of the tire to loose contact with the pavement resulting in a wishy washy ride when turning...

This is the wheel I am going to run on my project, the wheel is 5" wide with disc brake,,, I'll be using a 13/6.5-6 slick...

Last edited:
it was almost impossible to turn with the squared off slick on the front.

125ccCrazy, were'd you get that wheel from? i want to get something like that so i can run a rear disc.

125ccCrazy

it was almost impossible to turn with the squared off slick on the front.

125ccCrazy, were'd you get that wheel from? i want to get something like that so i can run a rear disc.
Ancient chinese secret........

No just kiddin'.... it's a po:censure:ket bike wheel from a cateye.... I may send this wheel to a friend in Colorado to machine the hubs out to 1 3/8" so I can use a 5/8" bearing..... Probably wouldn't have though, the 12mm axles hold up fine on the pb's even with 150cc and larger engines..

I took the freewheel apart and welded the #41 38 tooth sprocket to the center part and screwed it back on the wheel hub... One thing about these wheels is if you use the screw on hubs you have to use a jackshaft so the sprocket is on the right side otherwise if the rotor is on the right and the sprocket on the left they will unscrew themselves under acceleration and braking...

Ok I see what you mean by squared off, well I guess im gonna have to check out the local TSC store, hopefully I'll come home with some new tires.:thumbsup:

Also since these tires (or at least the one Strigoi has) are smaller doesnt that mean faster accelaration? Hehe cant wait.

Ok so I went to TSC and they said they only stock slicks around the summer time so I think im going to order from here:

Go Kart Tires and Mini Bike Tires

I want to get the 4 PLY Tubeless Smooth Tread Tires, tire size 13X5.00-6. Now do you think these will be a tight fit on the 4.5X6 rim or should they work well? Also does anyone know if the stock DB tires are tubeless? If they arent what will it take to use tubeless tires on these rims, anything special?

mfgsupply has a tire size chart

Tires

my minibike tire the it goes height/width/rimsize like most industrial tires, I dont have a doodlebug but my minibike has 6 inch rims main thing u will need is correct rim size the rest is width and sidewall height, and they list replacement tires for db as a 6 inch rim tire.

6" Slicks

so find a supplyer that has rounded slicks and your good to go, but youll probably be better off ribbed front and regular slick in rear even tho its squared i never seen any rounded ones in northern or tractor supply, maybe theres some kind of pocketbike that has them, I know i said pocketbike so youll flame me now lol!

stay away from the slicks that mfgsupply sells. you don't really want to run them on a mini bike.

i'm running one of these slicks from TS on mine. it's a 13x5-6.

Last edited:
I might order some go kart tires, as long as I can ge them at a good price. Im buying this catch can so I can run a little extra oil and not worry about over flow:
RCM Racing Equipment
The same place sells tires so im hoping I can get some cheap ones.

i don't remember what i was running on it. i got rid of that bike quite awhile ago (this thread is over a year old). maybe try PM'ing Injuntom and see if he knows/remembers. he's the one i traded it to as a stock roller.

i was running that rear tire on a 5" wide wheel. that setup is actually on the red frame in my sig now.