Snowblower Trac/Snow Bike

Hello all this is my first post, I live in New England so this will be a fun project I just need to find a mini bike frame to work with. I work at a large machine shop with extremely talented welders so I can get creative here, I already have a craftsman snow blower gearbox with tracks but they are the small 4" wide ones probably no more then 16" long what size are usually used in the pictures below? (which are mostly taken from this site)

Since my tracks are smaller maybe I can use both of them side by side? Even leave a few inch gap between them for stability? If I put them next to each other with no gap then I could lean on corners easier and even find a way to get one side to slip so it helps me turn like a tank...even a slight slippage on one side will help the front turn! I'm not a fan of 4-strokes I want a 2-stroker! I have a little 2-stroke Tecumseh rubber paddle snow thrower engine but it may not be powerful enough I might have to find an air cooled 2-stroke dirt bike engine, it's around 3HP/98cc's from what we think...which might be enough if the bike is small enough plus I only weigh 120lbs!

paulhew

Absolutly a cool project!! I would try just the single track like in the pictures, but I guess it depends on where you really want to ride. Dual tracks in deeper snow would really help. Probably the guys who ride them would know best!

Welcome to OldMiniBikes. :thumbsup: I will be watching this project, something like this is on my "to build" list. :thumbsup:

Actually if you left the differential an attached it right to your set up it should work pretty easily. I also have a ski for the front. It goes in place of the front tire.

I'LL BE WATCHIN THIS.I MAY BE PICKIN THIS THING UP. LOOKS LIKE THE SAME SETUP.
I THINK IT WILL TURN WITH THE TRACKS AS IS.MAYBE NOT ON A DIME BUT SHOULD TURN IN SNOW.OUR RAIDER SNOWMOBILES TURN JUST FINE AND THEY ARE POSI.

Thanks everyone, this will be my only active work here otherwise I find mini bikes to be boring besides the novelty you can't go far. My intentions are mid-deep to flat groomed trails, either way I can't see how a double trac can't work even spinning at the same speed...might get some snow jammed in between and the shortness might prevent keeping afloat in deeper snow from snow shoe experience.

I would leave it dual and make a snow trike.
No way haha maybe if they were together just a wide trac.

Yeah snow trike......:grind: Welcome to the site. I am pretty local to you so if I can help let me know.
Got a mini bike frame for sale? lol

Actually if you left the differential an attached it right to your set up it should work pretty easily. I also have a ski for the front. It goes in place of the front tire.
I would rather use a snowmobile ski with an upside down leaf stack on top for suspension.

I'LL BE WATCHIN THIS.I MAY BE PICKIN THIS THING UP. LOOKS LIKE THE SAME SETUP.
I THINK IT WILL TURN WITH THE TRACKS AS IS.MAYBE NOT ON A DIME BUT SHOULD TURN IN SNOW.OUR RAIDER SNOWMOBILES TURN JUST FINE AND THEY ARE POSI.

They make a 5hp and 8hp yours looks like the 8...I have the 5 so I would really need a small frame.

Last edited:
well sounds like your on the right track :laugh: That tecumseh 2 stroke wont work. you need a pretty beefy engine to turn the tracks and power through the snow

Mini bikes boring,I'm offended.:laugh:
I figured someone would be but face it, when you live on the edge of a forest with a 500cc 2-stroke quad mini bikes look like childs play :laugh:

I saw that through a Google search, looks like yours goes pretty good!

plus its already been done. by Chrysler
I don't care...hahahaha

well sounds like your on the right track :laugh: That tecumseh 2 stroke wont work. you need a pretty beefy engine to turn the tracks and power through the snow
Yeah I figured not enough horse power in the lower RPM range, I have a horizontal 7 or 8 around somewhere for a snow blower I will use this year that is if I can find a mini bike frame.