Snowblower tracked doodlebug.

Here is a few pics from a recent project i finally finished. This started last spring when I found a set of tracks from an old snowblower at the dump

this is similar to what it originally looked like when new

after some brainstorming i came up with this mock up.

These tracks were never designed to go fast so I had to install some bearings to keep the plastic wheels from melting. This is where the project got pricey. Grainger and Tractor supply had all the correct sprockets, keyshafts, and bearings to assemble the track.

I had to cut everything off the frame to fit the track setup but it all went together pretty easily.

I managed to finish this just before the first storm of the year. the track struggles for traction in the deeper snow but it goes up and down the road very well. My goal is to go 30mph. Next i will install front skis and possibly stud the track. I am also going to give it a john deere paint theme and make the motor more powerful. Thanks for looking! Hopefully I can inspire others to try to build their own. I welcome anyone else to share similar builds or advice tips here!

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread. I like the photos when I saw them in the other thread, but I do appreciate seeing them again, as well as the more detailed explanation. 30 MPH with that setup has to feel like you're flying. :thumbsup:

Very impressive job on refitting the track with good bearings.