"Someting Wong" modifying a Baja Warrior

I've thought about making a lift kit for the rear of my Warrior. I want to use it in the woods and need more ground clearance.

How will the chain tensioner screws attach/work?

That engine looks like a push mower engine, modified to work as a horizontal shaft.

How much do they cost, compared to the GX series?

Last edited:
Thanks for that Dakota.

You could buy a brand new clone cheaper than a GC series horizontal shaft motor.

I haven't decided if the new mounts are going to be slotted yet, will decide after I add rubber mounts and build a chain tensioner.

That gold tank is begging to be stripped and painted black, then installed on my Baja.
Coupled with the factory tank, that should give plenty of ride time.

Cool.
I'm trying to decide whether to order the TAV with the back plate made specifically for the Warrior, or to get a standard/generic one and do the cutting of the back plate that is needed to fit it to the Warrior.
My concern with cutting on the back plate is that one of the reinforcing/stiffening ribs appears to need to be cut.
I wonder if this will affect the longevity of the bearings and the whole unit.

I'm also thinking about building one of the Bad Dog ATV mini bikes with the big, fat knobbies.
A Predator 420 and that gold gas tank would be a great combination.
Of course, I think front brakes would be required with that engine, especially if I use a TAV.
I thought about just using a clutch and a clutch brake, instead of a TAV and a front brake (I would still use the rear brake that comes with it), but it will be my "go anywhere" machine. That being the case, a TAV will better suit my needs.

Last edited:
I mocked up the TAV to see if there would be any chain clearance issues, and yup it hits the gussets I made on the swingarm.Now I need to figure out if I need to grind off some material or make up a chain guide. At least the TAV aligns up with the rear sprocket!

Well the top mounted gussets won't work, the chain hits and they need to be moved underneath the swing arm. I also want to see if I can use a larger tire on the rear 20x 7.00 -8 need a tire with a more aggressive tread. Still need to cut the rear frame off and extend it an inch or so upward to make the seating position more level. Will get some pictures of it soon!

I've been thinking about swapping the factory 19x7.00-8 tires for 20x7.00-8 tires from Northern. They're only about $50.00 each.
That should give me around 1/2" more ground clearance.

BTW, the tank arrived yesterday.
Now, I need to find a GX gas cap locally.
I have one on a GX340. Trouble is, it's attached to my air compressor (company issue, can't rob parts from it)

The past week, for me, has been consumed by work and getting insurance and temporary tag for my latest purchase.

I also have been looking for a larger rear tire, the stock one is too small now. I have changed my plans and now will make it a 2 seater for the kids to ride with on. More work and welding, new fenders & seat? Back to the lab for me!

Sorry to answer you after Jay, you should be able to get a cap from a local small engine shop. I still need to find one for the tank I'm using on my bike:scared: