Speedway Blue Angel

R

rustybike

Its about time I start rebuilding this thing. I bought it complete but its been sitting in a basement in pieces. The original front forks needed to be rebuilt but I bought a set of 2001 CR100 forks to replace them. They're about 6" inches longer but I'm gonna use them anyway. Might make a extended swingarm and move the rear shocks bracket so the rear sits a little higher. The frame, gas tank, fenders and rims will be sanded and painted. I don't have a seat yet but I will try to find a repro speedway seat. The original handlebars were stripped so I need to buy a new ones. It came with a seized 4hp but I replaced that with an 80s 11hp briggs. I might put a 7hp Tecumseh on it.

Attachments

R

rustybike

The stock foot pegs are way too small IMO. Im using a spare set of foot pegs from a 98 Yamaha blaster quad. I cut the flange off them already. I'm gonna drill a hole just like the speedway pegs. I'm using round tube to bolt to the bike frame and then bolt the blaster pegs too that. The pegs are on a steep angle and I want them to be flat.

Attachments

R

rustybike

Are you using bearings in the fork neck. I have a Green Horn and want to do a fork swap. Looks great.
In this pic the piece to the left is the cr100 nut that is threaded and tightens the top. It is metal but has a piece of rubber that the bearings rest on. I got both bearings with the cr100 fork so that saved me time and money. The 3rd piece in the pic from the left holds the bearings. The last piece is the bronze bushing that was in the neck of the speedway. I need to drill it out bigger so the cr100 fork tube slides through it. The piece that holds the bearings will rest against that. Well that's the plan anyway. I just need to buy the correct size drill bit. I didn't use pitbike forks because I don't think they would handle the big old 11hp Briggs and my 155lbs slamming down on them in the trails. I personally wouldn't use no name Chinese forks on my speedway...

I will try to get the bronze bushings cut so that the piece the holds the bearings sits inside the bronze piece instead of on top now that I think about it..

Attachments

R

rustybike

Could you use a longer set of rear shocks to help keep the frame level?
I just removed the rear shocks and they measure 11" 3/4 eye to eye. I'm not sure what new ones would be. Im gonna buy a set of xl100 rear shocks even though they're kinda no name chinese I have read good reviews about them. I'm sure they're much better than what's on the bike now. Here's a pic I stole from eBay. These are 15" 3/4 eye to eye. I still plan on extending the swing arm by about 6" inches.

Attachments

R

rustybike

I got lucky with my forks. I was looking for kx80 forks but found a guy on craigslist who was parting out a blown dirt bike. He was only asking $50 for the forks so I offered him $40 and he took it. Where did you buy your rear shocks? The ones in the pic I posted were $120. Your bike looks real good.

fistfullabar

ebay for the rear shocks. Check your steerer tube. If the head tube is 1 3/8 = 35mm you can get mountain bike headset for your fork what i run on my bro's bike steers real smooth .

I've been thinking about a set of these on EBay for my Speedway Green INVERTED FORKS 14" WHEEL XR50 CRF50 XR CRF 50 125 BIKE P FK05+ The steering tube on the frame measures 1 3/8" - 5 1/4" ... my old forks are toast.

R

rustybike

I just did a quick mock up with the new forks and 11hp Briggs. I had to notch one side of the top frame rail a little to get it to fit. It will have a steel brace welded across the very top of the rail to reinforce that. I saw a speedway with a newer ohv engine and it had too much empty space and looked funny IMO..I love the old school engines.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Rusty Bike, I lent Karen K. my original green Horn seat cover at the Windber Mini-bike reunion so she could make a pattern. She is on the forum, I just don't know her handle.

Tom M.