Spring stuck in fork leg - K&S bike

I was pulling apart the K&S I have and discovered the front end is sprung! I had no idea, everything was so painted up and stuck it just seemed solid. Anyway, one leg came out fine, but the other... well, the spring is stuck. Hard. It (the spring) has a weird bend where it's been compressed funny or something, and is sticky/noisy as is. I'd like to pull it out, but it's resisted my efforts thus far. I wedged a bent coat hanger with a hook on it down the tube, and while it engaged the spring, I wasn't able to get it to budge. Anyone have any experience with such an issue or suggestions on a solution?

Last edited:

capguncowboy

Did you remove the retaining bolt? I know it's pretty basic, but we've gotta start somewhere, right?

If the forks are bent, you're gonna have to try to straighten them before you can get that spring out... Or did you mean the spring was compressed funny? If so, try filling it full of PB Blaster and letting it soak for a day and see if that breaks things loose.

Other than that, lots of force and maybe some heat?

Last edited:

724wd

Yes sir, the retaining bolt is out and it's the spring that's wonky. I've got a couple cans of Kroil I'll soak it in and give 'er another go.

Yes sir, the retaining bolt is out and it's the spring that's wonky. I've got a couple cans of Kroil I'll soak it in and give 'er another go.
If you have a paint stripper (heat gun) you can set it up to run on the outside of the leg and let the heat promote the metal movement. It will help with breaking the bond between the metals. I would secure things in place and let it run for a while. Just beware of fire as I don't have any idea of the flammability of Kroil.....

Doug

I had a spring stuck in a fork tube once, after soaking the inside with pb blaster I took a piece of thread rod that would just fit inside the spring and screw it in after grinding it to a slight point so it would start into the spring. Then heated up the fork and yanked on the thread rod, you may pulled the coils apart and replace the spring but it will come out.