Super Bronc Tire sizing

I am just being curious and hoping that someone will chime in to answer this for me.

I seem to remember someone saying that a 22 inch tire wouldn't work on the rear of a SB. I know that a 21 is the correct size but what are the interference points with a 22?

Thanks,

Doug

SOME 22" will rub, others will not, however, they are VERY close. The "interference point" is the bolts/nuts for the rear fender. Why screw around with the 22" taking a chance that they will work? Get the 21" tire referenced in the thread above^^^^. We did and they work just fine.
Michael

Hey Doug...I think I posted this possibly in some other thread, but I'm not seeing it.

I got my super bronc tires from ATV Tires | Carlisle | Kenda | ITP | GBC | ATVTireStore.com

Goodyear 21 x 11 x 8 for the rear.

They are a tubeless model, but I'm running a tube (front and back), and bought that from them also. Very helpful site...and very prompt shipping. I've bought from them 3 different times. A fellow named Mike helped me the first time, was so helpful, I asked for him each subsequent time.

Just for reference, for others who may have similar...my VT-8 has the narrower front end (the narrow front end will not accommodate the 21 inch tire....don't ask me how I know....:shrug:....:doah:..:laugh: ). the (second) knobby I ended up purchasing for the narrow front end was a Duro hf240 series. 18.5x9.50x8, and it fit's great.

Good luck with yours Doug....:thumbsup:

Last edited:
My VT-1012 had Carlisle's when I got it .. tho the tires were in good shape they rubbed the fender mount bolts in the back and had to be run at 2lbs or less to not rub, and even then there was no chain adjustment .. to far forward the tire hit the fender mount bolts at the back of the motor mount ... too far back and it hit the fender mount bolts in the support bracket.

I saw a post on here that said the Goodyear Terra was the go to replacement tire but had not been made in years.
I scoured the internet hoping for an NOS tire, what I found was they had just started re-popping them and the ATV store had them ...

I got them, had them mounted and they were perfect.

A word of caution!!!
I had the back one mounted first at Discount tire ... they couldn't get the bead to set correctly and inflated the tire to 30lbs to seat the bead and still couldn't seat it. the tire says something like 15lbs MAX to seat the bead ... they didn't ruin it but I was worried.

I had the tire dismounted, I cleaned the inside of the wheel with a 90-degree grinder and a scotch brite disc paying particular attention to the area where the bead needed to seat.
Then I painted it white.
That gave the tire a slippery surface to seat correctly.

Hey Doug...I think I posted this possibly in some other thread, but I'm not seeing it.

I got my super bronc tires from ATV Tires | Carlisle | Kenda | ITP | GBC | ATVTireStore.com

Goodyear 21 x 11 x 8 for the rear.

They are a tubeless model, but I'm running a tube (front and back), and bought that from them also. Very helpful site...and very prompt shipping. I've bought from them 3 different times. A fellow named Mike helped me the first time, was so helpful, I asked for him each subsequent time.

Just for reference, for others who may have similar...my VT-8 has the narrower front end (the narrow front end will not accommodate the 21 inch tire....don't ask me how I know....:shrug:....:doah:..:laugh: ). the (second) knobby I ended up purchasing for the narrow front end was a Duro hf240 series. 18.5x9.50x8, and it fit's great.

Good luck with yours Doug....:thumbsup:
This is the one you want .... it will fit with out rubbing .. I have bought 3 ...

Goodyear Compass Terra ATV Tires
SOME 22" will rub, others will not, however, they are VERY close. The "interference point" is the bolts/nuts for the rear fender. Why screw around with the 22" taking a chance that they will work? Get the 21" tire referenced in the thread above^^^^. We did and they work just fine.
Michael
I am not looking so much for a 22 to use as I was thinking that I had read they did rub. But I was looking for input as to what others are using and if they like them. I don't want to run a 21 x 11, I would prefer to stay with a 21 x 12 like it should have. Thanks, Michael

My VT-1012 had Carlisle's when I got it .. tho the tires were in good shape they rubbed the fender mount bolts in the back and had to be run at 2lbs or less to not rub, and even then there was no chain adjustment .. to far forward the tire hit the fender mount bolts at the back of the motor mount ... too far back and it hit the fender mount bolts in the support bracket.

I saw a post on here that said the Goodyear Terra was the go to replacement tire but had not been made in years.
I scoured the internet hoping for an NOS tire, what I found was they had just started re-popping them and the ATV store had them ...

I got them, had them mounted and they were perfect.

A word of caution!!!
I had the back one mounted first at Discount tire ... they couldn't get the bead to set correctly and inflated the tire to 30lbs to seat the bead and still couldn't seat it. the tire says something like 15lbs MAX to seat the bead ... they didn't ruin it but I was worried.

I had the tire dismounted, I cleaned the inside of the wheel with a 90-degree grinder and a scotch brite disc paying particular attention to the area where the bead needed to seat.
Then I painted it white.
That gave the tire a slippery surface to seat correctly.
Thank you to all of you for the experienced input. I am just thinking about maybe changing this perfect set of Carlisle 21 X 12 X 8's out and save them from certain death from briars and Bradford Pears. We have un-grafted Bradford Pear trees (which are all volunteers that you cant kill, you have to dig up all the roots or they come back) and they have thorns. Big thorns. I have flattened the tire on a Backhoe/loader with them.... I know if these 2 ply Carlisle's get near one they will let the air out... I had to go to 4 ply 26 X 12 X 12 tires on my Ferris to keep the Briars from killing them while cutting the grass and solid tires on the front as they got a puncture every time I cut the grass. Pricey muthers too...

I had seen the Goodyear's and they "look" good but suffer the 2 ply fate as well.

The tire I truly would love to run but so far cant find the size is one of these Side by Side UTV Radials. I have Radials on one of my Ranchers and you can really tell the difference in ride quality. I probably am stuck with something like the Goodyear Compass and will just have to live with it. Not that it is or would be a bad tire but the 2 ply rating is what worries me. I have 4 ply or more on everything that works around here.

I will keep looking...

Thanks again to everyone.

Doug

Last edited: