Super tryke rebirth

I hate to ask stupid questions but I'm not too versed in electronics. I'm assuming the pic I showed you of the component is the rectifier? If so do you reckon that's why the first motor smoked because it wasn't hooked up? And what do the black and white wires go to?

Mr. Pink

I'm assuming the pic I showed you of the component is the rectifier?
Yes
If so do you reckon that's why the first motor smoked because it wasn't hooked up?
I kinda think that 12V was inadvertently applied to either the ignition coil or the charging coil.
Without knowing which smoked, I’m not sure what was miswired or defective.

And what do the black and white wires go to?
The black and white wires are 12v DC to charge the battery.
The black is negative and will connect to frame ground and/or the yellow/green wire on the ignition switch.
The white is positive and will connect to the white wire and 25A fuse on the ignition switch.

Is there a black wire plugged into a white wire? Near the switch or the starter solenoid. In that bundle in your picture, I see a big black and a big white. I think that is where your other two wires from the rectifier go.
I will guess the ignition switch smoked.

Last edited:
Sorry, got busy with a deer head. There are two loose blacks, one male and one female. The big white plugs in to another black that goes to that shiny little cube you see in the pic. IMG_20231126_174313.jpg

I would get out a multimeter.
I do not think a black and a white should be connected. I would unplug the black/white and see if I still get a spark when connecting battery.

I think the black/white combo is odd too. Its a big white wire connecting to a small black wire which doesn't seem right, either. The white female coming from the rectifier is the same gauge as the white male coming from the engine.

I think the black/white combo is odd too. Its a big white wire connecting to a small black wire which doesn't seem right, either. The white female coming from the rectifier is the same gauge as the white male coming from the engine.
Do you get a spark when you unplug them and connect the battery? I think the black will plug into the black on the rectifier, and white to white.
In the PDF diagram, it looks like plugging it in the way it is, will cause a direct short to ground.

Last edited:
Okay. If I unplug the big white wire from the little black wire and connect the battery it no longer sparks. The diagram does show two whites connecting and two blacks connecting. My problem now is I have two black males and two black females and I don't know what they do. Three are from the engine and one is from the rectifier.

They are all ground wires. One from rectifier plugs into whichever one it fits into. Plug the other two into each other. BLACK TO BLACK.
I believe one is the kill switch for the coil and the other one is low oil sensor. They should be together or the low oil sensor can't kill the ignition.

Male to female, shouldn't matter which. If it helps, I suspect the black and white that WERE connected, are to rectifier.