Suzuki 50, what do you think?

1camper

Looking for my first mini bike restore project, I'm scheduled to go look at this one tomorrow... do you think this could be too complicated a project for my first one? What headaches am I likely to run into?

Seller says it runs but need going thru... looks like it was laid down at some point judging from the pics of the other side but not bad. Pressure dent in the tank that the "dent doctor" could probably get out if I wanted to save the original paint.

Having restored a bunch of old Suzukis, parts are getting very difficult to find and are pretty expensive these days. A couple of guys have spent the last 15 years buying up dealer stock and they have cornered a lot of the market. Contact Paul Miller in Connecticut and see what he's got for the bike. You'll have to search him on the internet as I no longer have his number.

Doc

Wow! That is a cool bike. What year is that bike?

When I was growing up in the 70's I actually pulled a bike just like it out of the trash with a seized engine and broken off carburetor.

Got the piston moving with some oil in the spark plug hole and made a carburetor adaptor with some scraps laying around my dad's garage. Attached an old Tecumseh carburetor and had a while summer of fun with it.

Never saw another Suzuki like it up until now.

Yep, thats what I was hoping to just clean it up and use it or sell it and look for one with that low gear. I always liked those bikes!

I've been practicing with a soda blaster lately on different surfaces. Its great media for just cleaning stuff up. works great on chome!

Wow! That is a cool bike. What year is that bike?

When I was growing up in the 70's I actually pulled a bike just like it out of the trash with a seized engine and broken off carburetor.

Got the piston moving with some oil in the spark plug hole and made a carburetor adaptor with some scraps laying around my dad's garage. Attached an old Tecumseh carburetor and had a while summer of fun with it.

Never saw another Suzuki like it up until now.
1970 MT50, at least thats what I think. Looking at all the projects around here has got me excited to try this one.

1970 MT50, at least thats what I think. Looking at all the projects around here has got me excited to try this one.
Thanks!

I would imagine that any 2 cycle oil today is far better than anything used 45 years ago. Just my thoughts and not from an expert either. Lol

Just know going in that parts are going to be REAL difficult to come by and you will pay top dollar if you can even find them. My son is just finishing up a 1979 Yamaha YZ80 restoration. We searched and searched for parts (Ebay and many phone calls to parts houses and motorcycle salvage companies around the country), with some parts taking months to locate, and that bike was much more popular than your Suzuki 50.
Michael

Yeah...that is the primary concern and why I don't want to hang on to it.. It is supposed to be complete and running. I hope to shine it up, tune it up and pass it on.

Thanks for the replies. If I get this one, I'll start a project thread and try to get one under my belt. Currently I have a nightmare 1974 Kubota B6000 project that is taking much time. That one I'll probably keep. :)