Sweet Vintage Lawn Mower

oldfatguy

that is nice, that looks like a cast iron briggs model 8 on there. I think that mower didn't have wheels and would hover on the air being forced down like a hover craft. I collect antique mowers and snow blowers it's fun to use a 50+ year old machine especially if you like those old briggs engines.

jeep4me

that is nice, that looks like a cast iron briggs model 8 on there. I think that mower didn't have wheels and would hover on the air being forced down like a hover craft. I collect antique mowers and snow blowers it's fun to use a 50+ year old machine especially if you like those old briggs engines.
I think it has 3 wheels. A mower with a cast iron briggs and an all metal deck would be way too heavy to hover. I've had those fly-mows before and their decks are plastic and the engine is aluminum.

This is just my guess, I have yet to call the seller and talk to him about it.

MB165

Nice!
thats an origional snapper, Ive only seen one in person and the turtle head out front was busted off. Good collector item.:thumbsup:
Pete

oldfatguy

I think it has 3 wheels. A mower with a cast iron briggs and an all metal deck would be way too heavy to hover. I've had those fly-mows before and their decks are plastic and the engine is aluminum.

This is just my guess, I have yet to call the seller and talk to him about it.
fly mow,that's what I was thinking of they look something like that. You're right about the weight of that it's built like a tank. Go get it, at that price it's worth it for the engine alone but I bet you can still even talk him down a few bucks. Look what this nut is asking for this old mower,

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

jeep4me

Definetly not a hover craft. I spoke with the seller and he said it has a solid roller in the rear and only a flat bar in the front, no front wheels. He said it's self-propelled, both in forward and reverse. He thought it was pretty dangerous, but pretty cool none-the-less. He has some literature on it and said it was one of the first mowers that "Snapper" first put out, at the time they were called Snapping Turtle. And that is a snapping turtle head on the front.

I'm going to try to make it over there today. He has a number of old, odd, vintage mowers. I'm kinda tapped out on cash but we'll see what I can work out.

toomanytoys

Speaking of old tractors, picked one of these up at the beginning of the summer. I have no idea why, it was freshly restored. The guy was older, said it was too much of a pain for him to climb up onto. I traded him a 8 year old craftsman my grandmother bought before she passed.

Definetly not a hover craft. I spoke with the seller and he said it has a solid roller in the rear and only a flat bar in the front, no front wheels. He said it's self-propelled, both in forward and reverse. He thought it was pretty dangerous, but pretty cool none-the-less. He has some literature on it and said it was one of the first mowers that "Snapper" first put out, at the time they were called Snapping Turtle. And that is a snapping turtle head on the front.

I'm going to try to make it over there today. He has a number of old, odd, vintage mowers. I'm kinda tapped out on cash but we'll see what I can work out.

Homer had a Snapping Turtle I tried like hell to buy.. He got it for 7 bucks at a garage sale.. He wanted 100 bucks for it.. He sold it pretty easy, but I didn't have 100 bucks for a 60 year old lawn mower.. :doah:

Antique 1950s Faribanks Morse Riding Lawn Mower Neat | eBay

this one would be nice to restore.

also check out e-bay there are at least 5 snapping turtle mowers on there all selling for big bucks.
:laugh: thats cool..

Speaking of old tractors, picked one of these up at the beginning of the summer. I have no idea why, it was freshly restored. The guy was older, said it was too much of a pain for him to climb up onto. I traded him a 8 year old craftsman my grandmother bought before she passed.
Speedex is another pretty high dollar unit.. I had one for a while.. They are pretty bad ass machines..

I would love to find one of these!..

I have pictures of the one my buddy has for sale here in Olivet Michigan.. Looks like the one Delray posted with Trail Horse 6 inch mags on the front.. Pretty damn good shape.. Briggs chrome plated Turbo Jet 8 horse, Trail Horse mags and all.. 350 bucks..

oldsledz

350 sounds like a fair price for one of them hot rod mowers in good shape.

I got rid of my SpeedX about a month ago, didn't seem like a high dollar unit then,
I only had one person interested in it, he gave me a mini bike and a little cash for it.