T555 Questions

I just picked up a Wards T555 this weekend and have some questions on the TAV setup. I've got the driver and driven units but it didn't come with a belt. It has slots for motor location adjustment, so the center to center on this setup is variable. However, there is a set of mounting holes in front of the slots that appear to allow for a fixed motor mounting. I'm not sure which to use.

Does anyone know what TAV setup the bike likely has. Its Assymetrical with a 6" diameter Driven. Should I just check the max and min Center to Center distance allowable by the slots and then buy a belt that fits in the range? Should I use the holes up front and then just see what distance I get?

Looking at the pics from this add, it looks like I just mount it to the holes up front:

3 WHeeLeR WoRLD Montgomery Ward T555

You can see the un-used rear slots on this page:

CMiniBike1971m10OctoberPage51MontgomeryWardT555.jpg

I wonder if it had to do with what engine came on it. Briggs with the tank underneath would use the front holes while a Tecumseh with the tank in front would use the back holes. :shrug:

Yeah, that's what I'm figuring to do. Oddly enough, my TAV driven is backwards compared to the pics. The spring assembly is closer to the frame than the pulley part. I've got to see if its supposed to be that way.

Good observation Gumpit. I checked the driven and its is asymmetrical. I guess the driver and driven are not a matched set, as the driver is definitely not symmetrical. So, how do I tell if its a 20series or a tc88? Does it matter as far as finding a driver? Is there any advantage between the symmetrical and asymmetrical setup?

I'm guessing this is the reason why I see so many pics of these bikes with extra slots cut out at an offset from the original ones. Switching to a Comet 30 means flipping the driven, which moves the engine inward. I'd prefer to keep the current driven and stick with the original slots. I figure I could put a longer jackshaft in there and set a Comet 30 driven on there offset outwards, but I'm going to try to make this one work first.

Your post is unclear as to which clutch is asymmetrical. You want symmetrical. If your driver is original, it will be 5/8" symmetrical (TC-88). You can shim it 1/8" with a washer inside to make it a series 20. You'll find series 20 belts and driven clutches easier to source. If you have to have it original, I have a nos 5/8" driven.

Once you decide which system you're running, check the Comet belt chart. It will tell you what length belt based on the diameter of the driven, and the distance between the crank and the jackshaft.

OK, the driver I got with the bike is assymetrical and the driven that was on the bike is symmertrical. I believe the Driven is original and the driver is just an incorrect unit that was tossed in.

So my question is, how do I tell if my driven is 5/8" wide or not?

So my question is, how do I tell if my driven is 5/8" wide or not?[/QUOTE]

That's easy! Just measure the distance between the two sheaves with a measuring tape laying flat on the end. You should clearly see 5/8"' or 3/4" separation.
If it turns out to be 5/8", and it's in good condition, mount the motor in the middle of the slot and measure between the center of the crank and the center of the jackshaft. You'll first need to see if belts are readily available. Or just buy all new 3/4" stuff.

Sorry, but I might have erred when I said it came symmetrical. If the spring side of the driven faces outward (left), then it is asymmetrical. If the spring side of the driven faces toward the motor (right), then it is symmetrical. I'm sorry to add to the confusion, I'll shut up now.

Ok, its 5/8", so I guess its a tc88...darn. I guess I've either got to hunt down the driver and belt or just buy a comet setup. Can a new comet 20 be setup with the driven reversed ( spring assembly facing in toward the engine) ?

Can a new comet 20 be setup with the driven reversed ( spring assembly facing in toward the engine) ?
I did a Comet 44 that way on the Tote Gote Nova. The driven on those moves "backward" and the Gote's driver was proprietary.

Since I couldn't find the original driver, I had to go Comet, but flip it backwards on the crankshaft. I had to do some shimming on the crank shaft to keep the belt aligned. No big deal, just took some time. Also used a spacer on the threaded end with the bolt to keep it snug. Worked great once I got it all aligned.

Last edited: