Tav 2 - jackshaft?

What are the differences between tavs and jackshafts? Is on for off road and the other for street? Is on better than the other?

Last edited:
A TAV technically has a jackshaft. The driven of the TAV is the jackshaft. The TAV doesn't really have an advantage for street or off-road specifically. The advantage is power distribution. With a normal chain setup, the gearing ratio stays the same, but a TAV allows you to seamlessly change gearing throughout the acceleration curve.

Mbdutch, I use a clutch, a TAV and a PMR jackshaft on my minibikes. I installed the jackshaft essentially to approximate the effect of a TAV while still using a clutch, distributing the power across four gears instead of just two. The difference being the clutch "slips" while the TAV expands so it would matter how you have your clutch setup, gearing, etc. (I have 12t clutch to 13/15t to 72 rear sprocket) you know the drill. You've seen my GPS so I think I'm where I need to be with my current setup.

The "feel" of a jackshaft to me is different than a straight clutch, I don't have to rev as high to engage. I ride in the hills and both the straight clutch minibike and the jackshaft minibike function bulletproof on them. The TAV is more "direct" feeling throughout the range of power, provides engine torque-back when slowing down (don't have to use brakes so much) and will wheelie the bike if you give too much throttle, and even though it's more direct, this is not my preferred drive. I actually like clutches better - with and without the jackshaft. It's looser, feels more "minibike" to me. I like the sound of the clutch engaging. And I like hot clutch smell after a good ride, fills my garage with it (is that too much information....?):doah:

I know now this is not a technical description, but very subjective. I thinks it's all what you like. And I know you like to go fast..........:thumbsup:

MB, my two cents worth:

A simpler way to look at the TAV systems: An infinite number of gear ratios available between the smallest and largest diameters of the two "pulleys." In addition, you get torque sensing on the driven, so it wont open (reduce diameter) if it feels too much torque load. (Mandated by it's spring tension) Superior in off-road conditions. Good choice for heavy bikes/karts. At higher belt speeds, the belt can tend to stick in the sheaves. (racing applications) Widely used for years on snow machines, and currently used on high end 4 wheelers such as the 900 and 1000 CC Polaris, etc.

A jack shaft allows a wider variety in engine and rear axle placement, and are required in most swing arm applications where a chain tensioner is not desired. Also good if your chain is too damn long, and you have visions of wrapping it around your ankle. They also offer total selection of gear ratio, since most of us are limited in clutch and wheel sprocket sizes. There is some parasitic drag, but I've never worried about it.