TEC HS40 Crank Question?

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Well I've never seen this before but, The Thread end of my HS40 crank snapped off !

Clean, like ya cut it with a knife!

Question is will a 3 or 3.5 Crank work as well OR is it a HS40 crank only thing?

This is a lighted HS40 as well if that matters.

Thanks

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Pulled the seal, it is bushing.

Thanks Doc but, that looks like a 7/8" out-put .

I have a " H " here like that.

Last edited:
I may have a crank you can have. If you're not in a rush I can check for you this weekend. Some of the hs50 cranks are the same but not the small block h models as far as I know.

markus

32877a is the crankshaft it calls for, I think they are still available, gotta watch to see if they are drilled and tapped though.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Thank you Ajf, :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info Markus :thumbsup:

Thank You Brian, that looks to be the right type of crank but, I have no clue how to clean that up to
where it counts and to make it useable again. I'll pass on it.

Thank you Ajf, :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info Markus :thumbsup:

Thank You Brian, that looks to be the right type of crank but, I have no clue how to clean that up to
where it counts and to make it useable again. I'll pass on it.
Can't just media blast it? Cuz that what I was planing to do before it went on ebay. Hahaha

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
It happened to me, I was trying to remove the flywheel.

removed the recoil parts, spun the nut back on flush with the crank end.

Gave a few wacks with my brass hammer, like I've done a 100 times.

Never a problem.:shrug:

But this is a first, never had a crank sheer off.

Did some searching on this and I guess it happens ! and has happened to others.

Ole was commenting on this occurring just the other day with the smaller H22-30 engines, since they're smaller there. Oddly, those engines' flywheel nuts are also torqued to 400 inch pounds.

joshua. c.

yea that same thing happened to me once, I wasn't using a torque wrench while when reinstalling the flywheel after a points cleaning and I over torqued the nut and snapped the threads, fortunately it broke flush with a washer. I removed the washer and luckily without the washer there were still enough threads left to put the nut back on. lesson learned use a torque wrench.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Seeing how the OG HS40 is now on a back burner waiting for repair and a new life.

I took the time to shoehorn in a 6.5 Champion engine ! An when I say " shoehorn "
I mean zero clearance on nothing, even had to add 4 links to the chain.
If it were any closer, it just would not fit without cutting things up. :laugh:

Even had to custom weld up the header and exhaust. My first time using one of these 6.5 clones.
No mods, keeping the gov