Tecumseh h 70 fuel leak

Hello everyone,
I have been working on restoring my retek cheetah and its going pretty well. I stripped everything and it has all been powdercoated. I got the tecumseh H70 running on the bench, cleaned up and painted...beautiful. Spent hours searching for Goodyear Compass 21x11x8...found and purchased them and mounted them up and started re-assembly of the unit. Mocked up a fuel tank and started engine to verify lighting coil was working(it is!!! )and shut the engine off. As the bike is leaning on the kick stand the carb started leaking fuel. I pinched the fuel line and it obviously stopped...tapped the bowl and no change...still leaks. I rebuilt the carb prior to this, that is why I am surprised. I am pretty sure it must be the needle not seating...any advise since it is all new? Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Usually i just throw on a fuel shut off under the tank rather than fool around with the carb in such a case. Sometimes it fixes itself after a while. Im sure theres a better answer out there lol :smile: But id say its probrobly somthing with the float

Is it a Walbro or Lauson/Tecumseh carb? If it's a Walbro they need a gasket on each side of the main jet assembly that go's through the bowl. If it only leaks when leaned to the left then it's coming out of the vent. If thats the case the float is way to low "high". As pre-mentioned. If it was a snow carb, with the hose fitting, they will tend to do what your talking about. The last few of them I removed the barb fitting and filled to hole. Then drilled a new vent where there normally located.

Try turning the needle gasket around (believe it or not they go one way, thus the ring on one side.) and check for a spec of debris. You may have to adjust your float height.

BTW, the Cheetah is a cool bike, got pic's?

Check your float, I had my Rupp Continental with a Tecumseh 3.5 engine do that and it ended up being I had a very small hole in the brass float. Take the float out and shake it, If theres fluid in it its bad. But you would have to had gas in the carburetor recently to still have it in the float. Just one other thing to check. along with the adjustment of the float.

BTW, the Cheetah is a cool bike, got pic's?
They had very "hot" Ad's for the time. You can tell they where marketing the bike for Dad. As where like the Fox Sprite you had the girl in knee socks and a sweater. Thomas had some racey Ad's also.