Tecumseh HSK600 2-stroke

Got a handful of tecumseh hsk600 engines. Recently had good luck putting a HSK850 on a pocket bike, anyways Im gonna toy with one of these engines. Have the intake ported and going to shave a little off the head or cylinder. YAY? NAH? Also heard these engines are known for weak piston rods. (insert dumb question :laugh:) Could you just weld some extra metal on the rod? If so, would the weight added need to be balanced or anything?

MINI-MATIC

Weak Rod?,best bet,get rid of any casting lines,radius,sharp corners with a dremel w/a small carbide deburr tool installed in it.These area's may most likely be where the failure of the Rod would occur,hope this helps.:thumbsup::scooter::thumbsup:

Got a handful of tecumseh hsk600 engines. Recently had good luck putting a HSK850 on a pocket bike, anyways Im gonna toy with one of these engines. Have the intake ported and going to shave a little off the head or cylinder. YAY? NAH? Also heard these engines are known for weak piston rods. (insert dumb question :laugh:) Could you just weld some extra metal on the rod? If so, would the weight added need to be balanced or anything?
Take about 90 ths off the head and then weld a big glob all over the rod,it will scream.:asshole::eek:ut:

Reviving an old thread I found after a search. Looking for something different for a couple of projects. One of them is an old kart. A West Bend 580 now costs as much as a new truck.

Are these Tec two strokes any good for a kart or mini? Granted, a motor mount would have to be fabricated, and I note the float carb requires a specific angle of the mount. How about performance or longevity? New, they're a hundred bucks.

Reviving an old thread I found after a search. Looking for something different for a couple of projects. One of them is an old kart. A West Bend 580 now costs as much as a new truck.

Are these Tec two strokes any good for a kart or mini? Granted, a motor mount would have to be fabricated, and I note the float carb requires a specific angle of the mount. How about performance or longevity?

New, they're a hundred bucks.
So is a predator from harbor freight, why mess with some thing that will surely fail.:shrug:

So is a predator from harbor freight, why mess with some thing that will surely fail.:shrug:
Are you saying those Tec two strokes are junk? I wanted two stroke power on that old Fox go kart. (1961) They came with either the WB 580, or the Clinton 490, and maybe Macs. Just can't see putting an OHV on it. :shrug:

Granted there are plenty of reasonably-priced and reliable OHV 4-strokes out there.

Dave,the two stoke tecumseh engines are not designed to rev high RPM like a west bend motor.If you remove the gov on a two stroke tecumseh, it will throw the rod.

Dave,the two stoke tecumseh engines are not designed to rev high RPM like a west bend motor.If you remove the gov on a two stroke tecumseh, it will throw the rod.
Ah, thanks. So much for THAT idea! I'm not having much luck finding a WB engine for less than $400, and even then, they're rare. I'd like to get that part of it figured out before I start restoring a "very" cobbed-up kart.

I appreciate the answer. :thumbsup:

CarPlayLB

I have been looking for a 2 stroke motor for a while. Scored an old Power Products AH47 off eBay for $120 ...but then , just for giggles, did a search for Chrysler engines. Chrysler actually bought the engine templates from West Bend. I scored an old ultra-light airplane Chrysler Power Bee 820 for $300 with the propeller drive still attached! I can't wait to get that one on a mini...should scoot!
Point is, keep looking, do your homework, and be broader in your search!