Tecumseh Motorsports Engine Question

I recently purchased what I 'thought' was a flathead Tecumseh Motorsports H50. I'm not an expert on these engines, as I've dealt mostly with Aspera/Tecumseh HT-25/35 and HS40 motors. If there are any Tec. Motorsports 'experts' on here, please let me know if the following is a TM H50 motor OR if the parts that came with it, would be the 'equivalent' to a Tec. Motorsports engine. Thanks...Fyi, I was told it would not come with the blue TM shroud, and the fuel pump/pumper carb. I just want to know if I got my $$ worth. I appreciate it. (I posted in the general discussion to get more views because info. on these engines is hard to come by). :thumbsup:

Carb #632794K and the engine is 'supposed' to be an H50 SBH-9994 (bought from Bad Dog)

IMG_4099.JPG IMG_4101.JPG IMG_4104.JPG IMG_4107.JPG IMG_4108.JPG IMG_4109.JPG

Last edited:
That is a early one. The later ones were blue and had tillotson carbs one was gas and the other was alky and fuel pump. Does yours have the stainless valves and aluminum retainers?

I appreciate the info...So this is the real deal? I'm only asking because I thought these engines came pre-assembled...So I guess I'm wondering if this is just a 'stock' NOS H50 with some Motorsports parts (cam, rod, carb etc)...? Any info. you can provide would be greatly appreciated. It's supposed to have a ball bearing crankshaft and high performance valve train etc...I haven't opened it up know what's really inside. I'd like to get 9-12hp from it...

Lastly, is there a big advantage to having a pumper carb/fuel pump...and if I choose to go the Tillotson route, what model carb would be best? Thanks...

CarPlayLB

And the mystery continues lol
Haha...no mystery here! The engines typically came with the piston in the bore with no connecting rod. The cam was installed as well as lifters and springs/valves. The carb and intake were never bolted to the motor. I can imagine this was done to skirt any warranty issues and liability.

These are very solid motors and should make good power.

Thanks, I appreciate the response...Obviously the cam on this one is in a box and has not been installed, neither were the valves/springs...I'll have to check about the piston with no connecting rod. I'll get into it this weekend and take a look.

What kind of HP were they rated at, and what RPM? 9-10hp at 6k rpm? I'm hoping that's close...

markus

I recently purchased what I 'thought' was a flathead Tecumseh Motorsports H50. I'm not an expert on these engines, as I've dealt mostly with Aspera/Tecumseh HT-25/35 and HS40 motors. If there are any Tec. Motorsports 'experts' on here, please let me know if the following is a TM H50 motor OR if the parts that came with it, would be the 'equivalent' to a Tec. Motorsports engine. Thanks...Fyi, I was told it would not come with the blue TM shroud, and the fuel pump/pumper carb. I just want to know if I got my $$ worth. I appreciate it. (I posted in the general discussion to get more views because info. on these engines is hard to come by). :thumbsup:

Carb #632794K and the engine is 'supposed' to be an H50 SBH-9994 (bought from Bad Dog)

View attachment 85341 View attachment 85342 View attachment 85343 View attachment 85344 View attachment 85345 View attachment 85346
[MENTION=9741]jeffdubb8[/MENTION] Old thread I know but do you happen to know what the stamped number is on the carb body of that 632794k carb is? it should be stamped on the left top flat spot above the low speed needle. Trying to figure out the carb body/bore size they used for those.

Thanx for any help!

delray

markus,if you are talking about this carb in the pictures. a good guess would be a 8 or 10hp carb bore. reason i say that is, i have only seen this style carb with the two casted holes on the side like this for the snowblower housing to mount too.(option)or not drilled or tap for a summer engine.:thumbsup:

Very nice find.

I like how they supply a stripped down 8-10hp snow king carb for more air/fuel. Looks stock but flows much more.

If I'm correct these are a fairly wide engine and can only be used on certain mini bikes?

markus

markus,if you are talking about this carb in the pictures. a good guess would be a 8 or 10hp carb bore. reason i say that is, i have only seen this style carb with the two casted holes on the side like this for the snowblower housing to mount too.(option)or not drilled or tap for a summer engine.:thumbsup:
Yes I know they are based off 8-10 hp carbs, they listed 2 different ones on the OHH motorsports, on the I guess what you could call Box stock :)shrug:) they have a 632351 which is a pretty standard 8-10hp carb and the above 632794k which was shown on the OHH motorsports engines that came with Rod, modified cam, hot coil etc.. was trying to figure out if I can cross reference/narrow the carb body down with maybe another carb to see if there is a bore size change or something else going on like the motorsports division may have just custom assembled the K numbered carb out of a standard.

Looking at parts lists of the 2 "motorsports" float bowl carbs above there are some differences in some of the parts, like the throttle shutter and the main jet so it has me curious Unfortunately you can't narrow down the actual carb body off the parts lists, I am working on an SBH 9993 (H50 motorsports) and have the Tilly for gas but would rather use something else on it, and I may consider trying the 632351 carb style for an HS40 or 50 to go along with cam change etc.

delray

yes markus it could be something to do with the bore maybe and also even something as simple as the jet passages. there is supposed to be a area in the jet assembly you can open it to make the gas flow better. that's all it would take to change the number on a carb. I am really surprise they still use the choke setup on a race motor. to me that would be kind of a restriction for the air coming in...:shrug:

[MENTION=9741]jeffdubb8[/MENTION] Old thread I know but do you happen to know what the stamped number is on the carb body of that 632794k carb is? it should be stamped on the left top flat spot above the low speed needle. Trying to figure out the carb body/bore size they used for those.

Thanx for any help!
Mike Clements currently has the the engine so I don't know what numbers are stamped on the carb. Sorry.

Good read, Thanks to all! I presently have an unassembled H50 994 engine, that came with a Tilly HL 365B 805 (Tec part 632758K),
Does anybody know if this is a gas or alky carb? And if a stock connecting rod can be used in this engine, versus
the billet one supplied?