Tecumseh OHH60 - Governor setting

As you can tell by my previous questions/posts I am new to these engines, and learning alot from the collective knowledge on this forum.:001_tongue: This is on a 2 year old 6HP engine: I have NO intention on removing the governor, however I do want to make sure it has the PROPER setting/adjustment. On this engine there are 5 holes (# 1 at the top to # 5 at the bottom) on the governor arm for the spring to hook into.Currently, on my engine the spring is hooked into hole # 1 (the top hole)- Is that the correct hole for optimum performance for the engine used on a mini-bike? I ask because I am having some idling problems and was wondering if the two issues are related?:blink:
Thank you

mines on the bottom but not my prob the govenor used to kick that arm when the engine would bog down and keep the it runing as low idle as i wanted but i took it out now it wont kick that arm and i have same exact prob as u

I know the overall function of the governor itself, but what is the purpose/function of these different governor spring settings (holes)?:shrug:

Thanks Ogsigh for the reply. can anybody else help me out with the proper governor arm (spring) settings and their function on this engine?:confused:
Thank you

Thanks jrzmac for the information!:thumbsup:
Just curious, what is the purpose of the other 4 holes/settings? Does the governor setting (i.e., which hole on the governor arm the spring is in) vary depending on the use of the engine, for example; mini-bike, snowblower, generator, pressure washer, etc.?:confused:

jrzmac

I have no idea! one thing for sure is that Tecumsehs are notorious for having way too many holes all over the place!!! and if you have something in the wrong hole, things can get screwed up....i.e. why are there 10 holes on the throttle butterfly??? if you dont have the governor linkage arm in the right hole on the carb, the thing won't run!!!!!

I moved it down to the #4 hole from the top. I noticed, however, that the spring is now quite loose/slack as it does not have to reach as far. There is no spring tension on the governor arm at all- that does not seem right to me.:blink: I suspect that this governor had been monkeyed with by the previous owner, and that might not even be the correct spring on there.:shrug:

MikeBear

As you can tell by my previous questions/posts I am new to these engines, and learning alot from the collective knowledge on this forum.:001_tongue: This is on a 2 year old 6HP engine: I have NO intention on removing the governor, however I do want to make sure it has the PROPER setting/adjustment. On this engine there are 5 holes (# 1 at the top to # 5 at the bottom) on the governor arm for the spring to hook into.Currently, on my engine the spring is hooked into hole # 1 (the top hole)- Is that the correct hole for optimum performance for the engine used on a mini-bike? I ask because I am having some idling problems and was wondering if the two issues are related?:blink:
Thank you
Here's all the pics on the links: 6 hp tecumseh throttle linkage

I was told by a Tech at a go cart shop that it doesn't matter where the sping goes. :shrug: I have a good running engine and just to see what happens, I moved the spring around and the engine ran the same regardless of what slot it was in. Maybe its not the gov.

MikeBear- Thank you for the link to the photos- they are very informative and exactly what I was looking for!:thumbsup:(It is interesting, as the photos show the spring in the # 2 hole on the governor arm!)

blkscorpion80- Thank you for the information, and I agree.:thumbsup: I have moved the spring to all 5 holes/positions on the governor arm and it makes no difference in the engine performance. I have very good performance from the engine during everything except idling and when I back off completely on the throttle after a mid to full throttle run, when it will idle rough, very slow and eventually stall. I am inclined to believe that I have carb issues.:confused:

MikeBear

MikeBear- Thank you for the link to the photos- they are very informative and exactly what I was looking for!:thumbsup:(It is interesting, as the photos show the spring in the # 2 hole on the governor arm!)

blkscorpion80- Thank you for the information, and I agree.:thumbsup: I have moved the spring to all 5 holes/positions on the governor arm and it makes no difference in the engine performance. I have very good performance from the engine during everything except idling and when I back off completely on the throttle after a mid to full throttle run, when it will idle rough, very slow and eventually stall. I am inclined to believe that I have carb issues.:confused:
I have the exact same engine (with an alternator) on my Kenbar MB-6 Mini-bike. It's at least 8 years old, and I'm the second owner. It idles rough when it's first started. It has to warm up a short period, and then it responds fairly well from that point on. Until then, you have to be easy on the throttle, or it stalls easy. It has a TAV 30 on it, and it's a rocket when you first take off. If you don't pay careful attention, it'll put you on your butt, with the bike on top of you. I've clocked it with a GPS at 36mph flat out, and that's hauling me at 212 lbs, and not tuned completely. That's fast enough for me. It's a big bike, and weighs around 175 lbs itself.

When I can, I'm thinking about doing some of the mods to the engine on this site: http://home.roadrunner.com/~pages/kart/kart1.html

Last edited: