Tecumseh Troubles

BobT

Hi! Im new around here and figured you guys would be the best place to turn for help.. I have a Lil Indian Minibike with a Tecumseh H40 on it. Its about 10 years old or so. I know its probably a little new for this site but I figured I give it a go. I would like to "Hop Up" the little H40 as it seems a little lacking. It doesn't wanna stay idling at all and it seems to foul plugs every season. I would like to give it a little more lower end too as it seems sluggish. Im running 87 with a J17LM plug. I was gonna maybe try a 19 plug as I believe they are hotter. Also I was planning on a carb rebuild. I wasnt sure if i could change jet sizes or something. Also is it possible to add a cone filter as like a K&N?? Thanks. Bob

There are many things you can do to wake up a BB Tecumseh,this is an H60 engine and the cone K&N type filter is a 50MM unit and I made the flange to carb adapter.You need to rebuild your carb, it should be the fully adjustable type carb.There will be an adjustable jet under the carb bowl if it is.Welcome to OldMiniBikes,take some pics and post-em up.

BobT

Thanks for the info! Sweet ride too! I like the paint! Unfortionally my carb is the non adjustable type. I know there probably isn't a lot I can do then. If I put a pipe and a cone on it it might lean it out too much right? Don't I need to richin it up? As for pics I will snap some. Its a little dirty tho!

Thanks for the info! Sweet ride too! I like the paint! Unfortionally my carb is the non adjustable type. I know there probably isn't a lot I can do then. If I put a pipe and a cone on it it might lean it out too much right? Don't I need to richin it up? As for pics I will snap some. Its a little dirty tho!
OK,I know what motor you have...its the newer Tecumseh H40 power sport 4HP

View image in gallery[/cent
like this one, I put a fully adjustable carb on this engine and it made it run a lot better.​

The mufflers that are on those engines have a thick steel wool inside them that the exhaust has to blow through,which is worthless for any kind of performance.There is also a 3/16" thick plate with holes drilled in it inside the muffler.I burned a hole in the top of the muffler,pulled all that steel wool out and where the holes in that plate are I burned a hole in that too.Then I welded a length of handlebar pipe on the hole I burned,now it can breath.Just doing that and putting an adjustable carb on this motor made it come to life!and it sounds a hellova lot better too.The El-tigre runs real good and it still has its governor.

Last edited:

BobT

Nice! I will have to get some parts now. What do you think about the plug? Will the carb keep it from fouling out? What carb do you recommend? Thanks! Pics today too :scooter:

Nice! I will have to get some parts now. What do you think about the plug? Will the carb keep it from fouling out? What carb do you recommend? Thanks! Pics today too :scooter:
Get an older fully adjustable carb from a 3-1/2-to- 5HP Tecumseh,then whatever you do to the motor to make it run better the carb will adjust for the mods.If you open up the exhaust and make it breath better a hotter plug is a good idea.I like to take the head off the engine,then the valve cover,remove the valves stuff cotton in the valve guides, fill the empty breather box full of paper towel and put the valve cover back on,tape the piston with duct tape and then clean all the flashing out of the two ports.Use a dremmel tool for this.There is lots of info on porting just use the search, you will feel it, acceleration improves.It wont harm your motor and no governor removal is needed.

There are many things you can do to wake up a BB Tecumseh,this is an H60 engine and the cone K&N type filter is a 50MM unit and I made the flange to carb adapter.You need to rebuild your carb, it should be the fully adjustable type carb.There will be an adjustable jet under the carb bowl if it is.Welcome to OldMiniBikes,take some pics and post-em up.
Rocco, great lookin mini by the way :drinkup:

Wow Thanks for the Good info!! I never thought about the wanted section! Rocco arnt the valves set into the motor? Wouldn't I need to open the case? I'll have to look again i guess. As promised here are some pics. Shes still a little dirty.

jrzmac

Bob, thats a pretty sweet looking Lil Indian. the engine looks fairly new too, do you really think you need a new carb? Did you try a carb kit and a good cleaning yet? If not, I would start there. then if that doesn't work, I know where you can get an aftermarket carb brand new for like $40.00. also, you can put those cone type air filters on the Tec engines, you need an adapter for it though. they also sell "socks" that go over the filter if you ride in sandy or dusty trails! it'll look like this:

without the sock:

with the sock over it

let us know if you want the adapter and filter. I can give u the links. for the carb kit also!

Thanks JRZMAC!! Its about 10 years old or so. We built the bike as a kit. I think its a Update of the original lil Indians. Yours on the other hand is Sweet!! I bet it hauls!! I only was thinking a new carb as this one isn't adjustable. Rocco was saying id could get a little more power out of a full adjustable carb. I dont really plan on doing anything too nuts though. I would however like to pipe and put a cone on it. I just don't know whats the best way to go. Yes if you wouldn't mind posting those up! I will defiantly rebuild the carb anyways until I find a decent Adjustable one. Actually I might have one?? I m going to go check. I had a 6 or 6.5 Tecumseh I think that i took the carb off of. Wish i didnt scrap it :doah:

TomH

Thats a nice looking little bike. Just getting that crappy carb off of there will make a big difference. The Carb link below is the carb I bought for my 3.5 horse. I am almost positive it is the same carb you can use. The only thing is that the fuel inlet is probably straight and yours is angled, so you might need to get some fuel line. I had enough slack so mine fit. That alone made a big difference being able to adjust the idle and high speed mixture.

Amazon.com: 632615 Tecumseh Carburetor: Patio, Lawn & Garden

TomH

Looks like JRZ has the carb I was talking about on his. See how his fuel inlet is straight, and his high speed jet is hanging down below the fuel bowl. That is the good carb. I looked at rebuilding mine, but with the kit, and the time involved, it was easier to spend a little more and be able to adjust the thing.

Nice!! I like that! Im pissed I just checked and my stash is gone :( I had a intake and carb off an older Motor. Im gonna see if i can find it tho. How'd it perform? Thanks for the link!

TomH

You can dial it in. If you put a header, and do mild head work later, the carb will handle it. Of course, going with a different cam and heavy mods it isn't going to flow enough, but I have them on both of my tecumsehs.

jrzmac

Thats the same carb I have. works good. I just had to get a new one thoguh. I bought one last year, but never emptied the gas out of the carb bowl. went to start it this year, forget it. I pulled the bowl off, there was this slime crap all on the bottom. I cleaned the shit out of it, but it never worked right, so I went and bought another one. works perfect. HAVE to remember to completely run the gas dry at the end of the year. the ethanol will kill these friggin carb's if you leave any gas in the at all!

here's the link for the air filter: affordablegokarts: Air Filter, K&N Angled

and the adapter: Air Filter adapter for Tecumseh & Briggs OHV Engine (300201), www.bmikarts.com : BMI Karts & Supplies : Go Karts Parts : Racing Go Kart Parts : GoKarts : Versailles, Ohio : USA : Indoor Track : Tips

heres the socks if you want them: Outerwears Pre-Filter (600826 or 600832), www.bmikarts.com : BMI Karts & Supplies : Go Karts Parts : Racing Go Kart Parts : GoKarts : Versailles, Ohio : USA : Indoor Track : Tips

Sweet! From the reviews on the Amazon site Everyone has reported way better performance!! And that its ready to go out the box! No adjustments needed! If it will Fit I am defiantly gonna buy it. JRZ Thanks a bunch!! I cant wait to wake this baby up!! You guys Think I should bump up to a J19LM? Was looking at those E3 plugs possibly. 93 octane help at all? Sorry for all the questions but i love speed!! Ok Great Tom! I will defiantly be adding this to my list! Hopefully it"ll all show up for next weekend!

Last edited:

TomH

It doesn't take anything to adjust them. Set it up on a table with the wheel up, loosen the high speed and open er up, twist the jet until she sings. Idle the same way, screw in or out until she idles just right. done!