The Big Wheel Projects

Rico

Hi,

My name is Rico, i´m 20 years old and i´m from the Netherlands.
2 Years ago my dad and I bought 6 crappy old Yamaha Big Wheels by a local dealer. They were the craziest bikes I´ve ever seen, and also very rusty. The BW´s ( 4 BW200 2 BW350 ) were used in a Dutch Monstertruck show, so when I got them, there was not much left of them. And many people said that we where crazy to restore those machines. But I was happy that I got the big wheels, because BW´s and also FatCat´s are very rare here in Europe.

So they looked when we got them. Just out of the barn where they where 5 years in a corner. Not one was running, and of the 350 with monoshock we first thought it was homemade:facepalm:

After this we dissambled every single bike and took the best parts out of the bunch for 2 good BW´s: a 200 and a 350.
The parts were sandblasted and after that powdercoated in the original colours. New bearing, screws, gaskets everything. Also 2 complete brand new taillights from Norway and the whole party new plastics from DC.

BW200

With also good old RV90 first modell original from Japan. Before they came to the USA. Also a restoration project of mine.

For the BW´s we got some nice ITP MUD LITE tires from Poland, also the last ones. Rear instead of 23x12-9, we have now 25x12-9. Therefor we had to extend the original swingarm because otherwise it wouldn´t fit with the ITP´s.

Regards,

Rico

Rico

After this, we prepared the bikes for the German Tüv. So they got numberplate holders, signallights, brakelights, Km/h speedometer and mirrors. With most of the parts and of course the BW it looked like this:

With the old swingarm

Don´t forget the Domino Tommaselli handlebars and switches.

Then we got the opportunity to buy a BW200N with German Road license. The only one in Germany, and maybe Europe. And of course we did that. So now I got original plastics, front and rear rack that are also powdercoated. The plastics were sanded and then they got a nice shine with plastic renew. That realy looks good.

And with a set of new decals, of course with my little friends:lol:. And some other parts, including a yellow gastank with over 20 hours of sanding it into a white gastank, it now looks like this Big Wheel 200es:

We also got the BW350...

Regards,

Rico

Rico

Thanks, Harleys Papa.

Here are some other pictures of the BW350:

And then with a nice wheelie she came out of the garage.

Some swingarms from other BW fans who want the extended version.

And all together, or a few, it looks like this:

Some little things have to be done before they get the roadlicense. Today the wiring system is finally ready after it was on fire last week because of stupid cable connector.
Next time I will also post some pics of the RV90 Restoration and the US90.

Regards and a nice evening,

Rico

I'd like to have one of those swing arms...Jack shaft in it. Be perfect for convert ing a 3 wheel to 2 wheel!
it is thats why i need one, did you not see the other thread where a guy converted a honda atc200 using one of these? makes it a lot simpler than building a custom one... which is probably what ill end up doing...

Looking great Rico

I love the big wheel bikes , built my own Honda Hippo a few years back

Have a Manco BigCat its a brute kinda like sitting on an oil drum lol

I just finished restoring an Rv90
and still have enough parts to rebuild another Rv but its the version with the short seat and rear rack

Keep up the great work
Rob
Big Wheel Brotherhood

Rico

Hi Bigrob,

Yeah, these RV´s are nice. In 2 years I had 7 of them. I only have a 125 and a Rv90J from 1970. I rebuilded the 90 and I´m nearly finished after 4 years ( there are to many project´s here and there:wink:).

From this:

Into this:

I just need some little parts, and realy like the kind of rear rack you have.

I also got something thats also called Hippo. But its Scottisch and a Ecorider.
You maybe heard of it. There are just a few of them and not made anymore.
With a Hatz 230 Diesel engine, 2 gears and a reverse. This thing is a tractor on two wheels.

With this thing my BW career started.

Regards,

Rico

I think I saw your videos on You Tube about the Eco Rider. :thumbsup:

More info on the Eco Rider please:
1) How do you like it and how does it compare to your other BW bikes?
2) I understand that they only go about 35 mph or so (if that is incorrect, please correct) at top speed does it still feel stable and capable of going faster?
3) Tire sizes?

One thing that sets yours apart is that you must have the rare front suspension option. Most of what I found, when I searched for more information on it, show no front suspension.

Thanks!

Paul

Rico

Jaja, the videos :doah:

Well, the ecorider is a very stable and robust 2wheeler from Scottland. It drives at top speed, 42km/h. But whe think when we change the rearsprocket it will go faster. It has a low gearing max 25km/h, and a high gearing, and also a reverse thats very tricky ( fast ). I don´t know how many kilos the thing is, but when we bought it new out of the box +-2006, we had it on the back of our camper that almost did a wheelie:laugh:. You defenetly need 5 or 6 people to pull it up. I realy like it, and its extremely rare. It drives good, just as the other big wheeled bikes. It only has a automatic clutch so you can´t shift while driving. I don´t know the tire size, but I will look for it. In all these years I didn´t even recognise that the other eco´s don´t have that front suspension. Ours is also complete ready for the road with turn signals brakelight and everything. 2 or 3 of these in the UK even have a roadlicense.
It`s a little bit like the Rokon Trailbreaker ( where I´m also looking for ).

Regards,

Rico

Thanks! I might try to copy it, but use a 420 Predator engine and lose the 2 speed/reverse. Nice shot of the frame. Is that 1" tubing (~25mm to you Euro folks :wink:)? Most of the commercial "fat wheel" bikes (Heald's, Manco's and other low volume manufacturers excepted, Ecorider turned into a low volume manufacturer, but it is clear they attempted to be more mainstream) tended to use skinnier tires than what appear to be on the Eco Rider. I was not sure how well it would handle (turn/steer/etc) with the large tires. I may have a better idea once I get my own Heald Super Bronc finished.

I like the Rokon's, but while I know speed isn't everything, they are very limited (25 mph, I believe) and I think part of that may have to do with the 2wd system. I could be wrong, but Rokon's may get unstable at higher speeds.

Paul