The hell with it...I'll make my own!

While working on my Fox Campus restorations I realized that almost all of the original lug nuts were useless junk. After years of abuse from ill-fitting wrenches, vise grips, hammers, and rust, there was no way they could be restored. After weeks of searching google and scouring the internet, I decided to make a post on OldMiniBikes and ask if anyone knew of a source for 3/8" -24 lug nuts. That was back in 2007 and to this day I still have not had a response. So, as I usually do in a situation like this I said: The hell with it...I'll make my own. And I did! Picture #1 shows a typical original lug nut. Not much there to work with. I began fabrication of the new lug nuts by purchasing six dozen 3/8"-24 "Hi Nuts" from Fastenal Co. See Picture #2. They're about twice the height of a regular 3/8" nut. Picture # 3 shows the hi nut chucked in my lathe and ready to be machined to a 60 degree taper. After the nut has been tapered it looks like the sample in Picture #4. Using a parting tool I removed part of the tapered end. (Picture #5) Now it's beginning to look like a real lug nut. In Picture #6 I'm using a reamer to remove any flash left over from the parting cut and to taper the inside of the nut to facilitate easier starting. After a little dressing up with a file and emery paper the finished nut looks like the one in Picture #7. Pictures #8 & #9 show the four successive steps involved. The last Picture #10 shows the results after standing in front of the lathe for ten hours. Now off to the plater for a nice coating of bright zinc....Ogy

Last edited by a moderator:
Good deal there 3 jaw. Now all you need is a small milling machine and there will be no stopping you. Nice tool bits too.:thumbsup:

There are a few atv wheels that use that size but they are over a $1 a piece.
Ok Deez....I'm going to make you an offer you can't refuse! You put me in touch with a vendor who can supply me with one hundred 3/8"-24 NF lug nuts with a 60 degree taper in a brite zinc finish and I will send you a crisp, new, $50.00 bill as a finders fee. However, should you fail to do so; you will treat me to the dinner of my choice anywhere in the Winber area during this years minibike convention. Deal ???

Why would you need One Hundred of these nuts?
Paypal the $50 to dsinks@att.net

Excalibur Wheel Accessories Trailer and ATV Lug Nuts

McMaster-Carr

Or you can do what I Do when I need tapered 3/8-24 tapered nuts.
I just get some crane cam rocker arm nuts and run a 3/8-24 tap down through them to clean up the lock end. They have a 60 deg end.
Heres those.

Crane Cams Rocker Arm Adjusting Nuts - JEGS

Deez...I am familiar with Excalibur. They make two models of 3/8x24 lug nuts. If you look at the pictures of their #98-0028 and their #98-0013 you will see that neither one of them is even close to what I'm looking for. I have the current Mc Master Carr catalog and they only list oval locking nuts. The standard oval locking nut is much shorter in height than the lug nuts used on the Fox Campus wheels. Therefore, I can't use them. And lastly, if you read the description of the Jeggs crane nuts you will see that "each crane lock nut comes complete with an allen head set screw for positive jam nut operation". Once again; close but no cigar. I honestly do appreciate you're trying to help me Deez. And believe me when I tell you that I spent weeks searching the web with no luck. I even made two calls to places in England and came up zero. If by some chance you run across a source for these; my offer still stands. And I mean that....Ogy