The old Chain Throwin Problem

beaudee

I got a Doodle Bug with the 6.5 horse upgrade.Keeps throwin the chain.It has a small steel strip with a pulley bolted to the frame that you move to adjust tension.Theres no motor adjustment(fixed hole).You just loosen the bolt and move the bracket/pulley to adjust tension.B.S. :hammer:Anyone here come up with a better 20th centry way to address this.Pics would help Thanks!!

That's the first thing I would do, slot the holes and throw the tensioner away, if there was no interference issues. With good alignment, there is no need for a tensioner. A tensioner is just another potential problem. Boxing in the engine plate would help too.

125ccCrazy

get an idler gear and replace the pulley, the gear will help the chain track straight...Or like mentioned above get a good round file and slot the holes in the engine plate...

Im gona make sure the alignment is good.Im gona run a string off the rear sprocket match to the clutch sprocket :hack:and slot the engne mounts.Thanks all!!!Ohhh and i use air rotary files:hammer::thumbsup:

That's the first thing I would do, slot the holes and throw the tensioner away, if there was no interference issues. With good alignment, there is no need for a tensioner. A tensioner is just another potential problem. Boxing in the engine plate would help too.
Good advice!!! Ill post a pick when im done!!!:thumbsup::scooter:

Im gona make sure the alignment is good.Im gona run a string off the rear sprocket match to the clutch sprocket :hack:and slot the engne mounts.Thanks all!!!Ohhh and i use air rotary files:hammer::thumbsup:
if you run into problems with getting everything straight, do a search on here. quite a few people have posted different tricks and tips for getting the clutch and sprocket lined up.

make sure the engine is centered too. it's possible that the motor plate isn't square so that could throw off your measurements.

A while back someone posted a tensioner that bolted to the side of the motor, yhere's a bolt hole there already drilled and tapped, the pulley came down on the top of the chain, I believe a spring was attached to the leaver, that held the pulley, and anchored to the motor mounting plate, Good luck either way you go!
dave

125ccCrazy

I use a straight edge like a nice straight piece of 1/2" angle iron or if there is room use a long level, clamp the straight edge to the rear sprocket so it layes arcross as much of the sprocket surface as possible pointed towards the engine and then move the clutch over or engine until the straight edge lays flat against the outside edge of the clutch gear..

I've used this system on several bikes when making engine mounts and rear wheel spacers..

if you run into problems with getting everything straight, do a search on here. quite a few people have posted different tricks and tips for getting the clutch and sprocket lined up.

make sure the engine is centered too. it's possible that the motor plate isn't square so that could throw off your measurements.
The mount plate isnt square with the frame.I used a piece of string,held it to the side of the back sprocket(since it had more area) with the chain off and moved the motor till the string touched the side of the front one.I slotted the holes and the bike works fantastic!!I threw away the tensiner pulley:thumbsup:Thanks to all with the good advice.