This may be a dumb question, but.....

will your minibike roll backwards?? Mine won't; or, at least, not now. I had a long layoff due to a foot injury, and haven't ridden in a long while, so I'm de-gunking my carb now, and when I tried to roll it backwards, the back tire just skidded. I checked the hyd disc brake to see if it was locked up, but it rolls fine forwards. I took the plug out and checked for free piston movement, thinking of a stuck crankshaft or something, and that all looks good... could it be the centrifugal clutch hanging up????

buckeye

Kinda strange. Take the chain off and see.:shrug:
Something obviously is hanging up. Just shy only backwards huh?
Got me to thinkin.:thumbsup:

clutch is hanging up,or your rear axle is rusty?
id guess clutch tho,had it do this before.
also check to make sure your chain isnt too tight/or has out of round gearplate,causing chain bind and clutch bind.

Had that problem! My whole rear rim was bent. Could be a warped sprocket or disc. Check the tire to see if it wobbles when it drives. My brake caliper would rock backwards and lock the brakes since the rim was bent. Hope this helps:scooter:

well it turns out that the rear hydraulic disc brake caliper mounting bracket is "twisting" when I roll the bike backwards- as I have to do to get it out of the tight space where it is stored- and thusly the disc is "grabbing" when the whole assembly rotates only a few degrees.... this is being caused by the degradation of the rubber-like inserts that slip on the posts on the disc caliper itself, that hold the caliper to the mounting bracket.

And I always heard that the "dumbest question" is the one that you don't ask (and thencefore walk around wondering about for days or weeks or months.....

I Just Can't Believe Some Of The Questions I Read:no::laugh:
And I always heard that the "dumbest question" is the one that you don't ask (and thencefore walk around wondering about for days or weeks or months.....
colrhino you are exactly right. i asked a buddy to come over and put some eyes on something i was working on that woudlnt start, that i knew i was doing something silly but had been working on it so long... i couldnt see it myself. he kept telling me to try this and try that and i said man you just need to come over and LOOK for me. i know its right in front of me but i just cant see it

he saw it in about 5 minutes after getting there.

there are no dumb questions, only stupid inquisitive people!

but if you dont ask, you are just stupid :D

well, that's what they taught me after nearly 28 years (okay, 27 yrs, 7 months and 29 days) in the Marine Corps! the only dumb question is the one not asked....

anyway, my brake caliper was twisting slightly, and it WAS binding the disc, but ONLY when I rolled it backwards.... so I went to Autozone, bought some vacuum line hoses of various sizes, trimmed and skimmed two pieces to replace the worn out "bushings" (if you can call them that), bled the system, added new DOT4 fluid, and bingo, it all works again! thanks again to all (well, nearly all) who replied to my question! I couldn't have done it without your assistance!!

When mine does that I just drive it forward for a short while and the brake frees right back up. When it grabs you'll see the rubber pulling since its designed that way. Hydro brakes work well up until you mod the motor. Then they can snap the mounting ear