Tillotson HL carb id help

Sprocket86

I have a Tillotson carb mounted on my custom Lawn Boy Duraforce engine but I'm not quite sure what this carb is specified for. The number is somewhat difficult to make out.

Looks like HL-87? as I cannot read the last stamped in digit.

Does this PN# look familiar?

Thanks

Attachments

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
My experience with Tilly carbs is limited to HD, HR and very little HL use.
Mostly for Snowmobile, Most Tilly carb numbers end in a letter. So I took a guess at HL87A
Which led to very little result, so then I tried B & C

So picking HL87C was only a guess and knew once you saw it, You would know if it was configured the same way.

I have found most HD and HR body's are the same, only difference is how they are set up.

Are all HL carbs 19mm ? I don't know. If I had 3 different Numbers of carbs to check in my hands,
I could make a better guess.

I see the HL87C was used on a Chain Saw, I know very little about Chain Saw's Or how big they would be to use HL carbs.

Good luck in your search

Sprocket86

My experience with Tilly carbs is limited to HD, HR and very little HL use.
Mostly for Snowmobile, Most Tilly carb numbers end in a letter. So I took a guess at HL87A
Which led to very little result, so then I tried B & C

So picking HL87C was only a guess and knew once you saw it, You would know if it was configured the same way.

I have found most HD and HR body's are the same, only difference is how they are set up.

Are all HL carbs 19mm ? I don't know. If I had 3 different Numbers of carbs to check in my hands,
I could make a better guess.

I see the HL87C was used on a Chain Saw, I know very little about Chain Saw's Or how big they would be to use HL carbs.

Good luck in your search
Hi there.

From my understanding the HL series of carbs were available with many different bore or venturi sizes like 25mm, 22.5, 20.2, 19, 18, 16.

The person I got the carb from said it came from a saw but he couldn't remember what brand of saw.

It seems to run pretty good on the LB engine but I still feel a 19mm carb would be perfect. The HL-87C is a 20.2 mm venturi.

Thanks and I'm hoping a member will offer me one for sale lol.

Here is the most complete list I could come up with:
Tillotson Carbs

Please note that dimensions are in inches so...
Any thing that is marked .750" would be ~19mm.
You will have to research these part numbers to ascertain if they include chokes and are able to accept an air cleaner.

As you know, I use the HL239b which I was led to believe is/was NLA. However, it is listed for sale as new here:
https://www.m-and-d.com/solr/words/hl239b.html

Last edited:

Sprocket86

Hey thanks Russ and hope all is well. Did you see my short you tube video?

Anyways what other Tilly carbs did you try during your duraforce build?

Any new two stroke projects or or duraforce upgrades over your way as of late?

Did you see my short you tube video?
Not yet Scott. Got a link?
what other Tilly carbs did you try during your duraforce build?
I only tried one other Tillotson and three or four Walbro bowl and diaphragm carbs. Non of them worked very well.
I took a chance on the HL239B only because the price was right. Turned out to be a good move.
Any new two stroke projects or or duraforce upgrades over your way as of late?
Nope, everything is in storage for the moment, at least for now.

Sprocket86

I'm having trouble posting links at the moment but if you log on to youtube and search "Lawn Boy Duraforce 2 stroke mini bike" you"ll see my vids.

Ok looks like I really need to locate a 239b Tilly. I had a quick look at the link you posted, with the exchange rate being so poor I bet that carb will
end up costing me $200 all said and done lol.