Tillotson tuning troubles

Well finally got the carb on the motor and running but not exactly right. It seems to pull away from a standstill fine but as you get up in the rpm's it starts popping and cracking(sounds like an old machine gun) then all of the sudden it takes off and goes like a bat outta hell. Now I'm a newb to the Tilly world and still not sure where to go with it. I tried messing with it a bit but only seemed to get worse the more I did.

Its sounds like your getting a lean intermediate miss , or a fouled plug have you cked the plug , how I rough adjust a 334 is i start out with the low side about 1 1/2 turns out and the high side about one turn , I start the engine turn the low side in until the engine stumbles a little then bring it out till it evens out and then give it an extra quarter turn , then i go to the high side hold the rpm up to 2500-3000 turn the high side in till i get it to stumble and bring out till it evens out , let it go back to idle and see how it reacts , sometimes after balancing the high and the low You have to touch up the low side a little , and if the carb has a high pop off pressure of 15 or higher it will be a harder to adjust . If you get a chance pop on to EC carbs website go under important links and then go into technical info there are some good downloads on there how to set up Tillys hope it helps !

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
There the simplest carb to tune.
You turn and go, it's that simple.
Maybe your pulse hole behind the carb is block?
Are you running a fuel pump?

Yes I am running a fuel pump and I don't believe the pulse hole is blocked. I know it should be as easy as turn and go but I guess with my setup at the time being it's not so much. Due to not being able to idle for any period of time I have to try and tune on the fly while keeping it running. I also have a stock Hillard clutch so I can't really turn the idle speed up(to keep it running) without it engaging the clutch. It doesn't help that I burned the you know what out of my forearm while trying to reach back and adjust the jets while driving. Now I talked to my dad about it a Lil bit and he said it sounds like it's going lean during the transition from low to high. If this is true which jet would need to be adjusted. I'm sure in time I will get this thing figured out and running tip top.