timing key installation?

125ccCrazy

It should move the flywheel clockwise. So, I would think stepped to the right on top.:thumbsup:
yep towards the front, with the step towards the rear you'll retard it... You want the magnets on the flywheel to get to the coil before the piston reaches TDC..

hold on hold on. you guys are agreeing with each other but contradicting each other. moving the flywheel clockwise would be to the rear and thus retarding the timing. moving the flywheel to the left would be to the front and advancing the timing. right :confused:

Go look at your engine. The flywheel turns clockwise. Moving the flywheel more clockwise would advance the timing. The key would be stepped to the right.

125ccCrazy

so i'd want the low side of the key on the right?

i'm thinking about this too much and starting to confuse myself. :doah:
install it with the step towards the right, imagine walking up steps, you would be walking up heading towards the front tire...

high side > right
low side> left

whatever direction the engine rotates in you just need the magnet to pass the coil faster, so if it rotates clockwise you make the keyway to the right so it passes the coil a few degrees faster, Someone making billet flywheels should make the keyway a few mm advanced, I bet thatd be a good performance part that would sell well, or make the magnet adjustable, maybe thats a bad idea, I could see some kid not tightening it and having it fly off at 5000rpm

You can get a flywheel with adjustable timing but it costs almost twice as much so why not just an advanced key. Filing the key works to but I would use an advanced key because that way you know your timing wont slip, its also pretty hard to be that precise with a file.