Tom Thumb Build

So back in 1970, I did read the article in Popular Mechanics about the Tom Thumb micro mini bike. Always thought it would be cool to have. So forty six years later, I decided to try to make one. I am not a machinist, and I have never welded anything in my life. I don’t have a lot of fancy equipment. I always wondered if this was as easy as it sounded. Bend a couple pieces of tubing, drill some holes, braze some things together and end up with a cool little mini bike. It was (for me) a lot harder than it looks. Bending the tubing was hard with a hand held tubing bender. Getting the 4” radius on those 2 pieces was IMPOSSIBLE. The article does leave some things out that you have to figure out by yourself. I did have to deviate slightly from the plans, but followed for the most part. I was going to post pictures of the build as I went a long, but have a habit of not finishing projects that I start. Here are some pictures of the bike. I have lots of pictures that I took during the build. I didn’t go with the Ohlsson & Rice engine, mainly because of the expense. I am looking for a O & R gas tank….. I do like the looks of the engine I used. Maybe in the future I will switch it. I did ride it up and down the driveway (with a big smile on my face). I think my neighbors think I have lost my mind, Lol…. If anybody wants any information, I’ll be happy to pass a long what worked for me.

Attachments

Very nice job the engine looks the part too. Is that from a weed wacker did you have to adapt to the shaft size? I had one like that ill have to steal it back from my neighbor lol

Thanks for the compliments. The engine is a 1986 Shindaiwa. It was connected to a water pump. I got lucky, the shaft was slightly less than 1/2 inch. I used a 1/2 inch to 5/8 inch bushing. Worked out well.