Too Much Compression

Hi guys, I have a Honda GX270 and I've recently replaced the piston and rings. Now that everything is back together it is REALLY hard to start because there is so much compression. When I try to pull the rope the handle is ripped out my hand. Is this normal for a fresh piston and rings?
Thanks

Tighten up ur side case cover evenly if u dont it can tighten down crooked an put lots of pressure on ur cam making realyy hard to turn over makes u thunk its commpresson but its just the side case tightend down un evenly give it a try

Thanks for the replies. Well the piston and rings are stock, the side cover is tightened nice and even. I'm leaning towards it being the exhaust valve clearance. What is the stock spec?

Curious: I assume you are referring to the easy start failing with too much lash. About what clearance does that occur?
yes as far as how it has to be off i have no idea but the more the wear on the easy spin the less it takes. the easy way to tell is if it is hard to pull only when the switch is on then it is timing i would guess. if it was me i would pull the valve cover and relash it then pull the fw just to make sure if i didnt find it in the valve cover. :thumbsup:

If you think it's timing, remove the plug wire, or have someone hold the kill switch while you pull it. If it spins over normally, it's timing.
If you think it's compression, including the exhaust valve being too tight, remove the spark plug and pull it over. If it's compression, then engine will spin freely with the plug out.

Joe