Topless car pics...

Some pictures of my 1986 Chevy Cavalier. Not quite road legal of course. Cut the top off with a saws all. Makes the car twist a little but it still runs.

MikeBear

Some pictures of my 1986 Chevy Cavalier. Not quite road legal of course. Cut the top off with a saws all. Makes the car twist a little but it still runs.
You are supposed to weld "H" beams from rear to front BEFORE you cut off the roof in a car like that. Pray it doesn't also FOLD UP" on you..... That is very likely....

Ahh... safety would take all the fun out of it. It's just a cruiser now anyway. That chain on the front passenger door is to hold it on after I ripped it off.

I don't use the doors since their all stuck shut. They probably do help hold it together some. I haven't had a problem with it sagging though. Theirs not much weight to it anymore anyway. I wouldn't want to hit something with it, that probably would fold it in. In case your ever stranded with your car somewhere with no automatic transmission fluid, you can use motor oil. I wouldn't recomend it but it works. I've been using used motor oil in the trans in this thing for a while and it works pretty much like normal. Most dents in the car are from a fight with a 96 honda accord. Thats when I still had the top on. The accord is now scrapped and the chevy is still going. Originally I removed anything the car didn't need to move forward to save weight. Interior, a/c system, radio, rear seats, grill, lights,windshield wipers. Then I found it tough to move the car at night, so I bolted some fog lights from an old nissan pathfinder to the roof. Kind of made it tough to drive in wet/muddy conditions without the wipers...I knocked a hole through the trans pan going over a jump, so I had to take that off and weld it back up. Car misses on a cyl or two sometimes, oil seeps through the head and fills the plug holes.

toomanytoys

I'll have to ask my mom if she still has the pictures of me and my cousins when we were kids. My uncle had a junk yard, he would get people dropping cars off that still ran for scrap. He'd let us kids drive them around and have demo derbies in the field next to his junk yard. It was a blast! They'd probably all go to jail now for child endangerment! If you hit someone in the door you got a time out:laugh: I miss the 80s. Kids are wimps today.

I was standing in a salvage yard in South Jersey (Blewitt's) back in the late 70's...one of the guys in the yard was doing donuts in this old bomb and yelling out the window when another guy in a giant forklift comes zooming over..this is one of those jobs with the telescoping hydraulics that goes about 30 ft in the air for stacking cars...he crashes the forks under the car and lifts it up in the air to the limit. The guy in the car is hanging out the window now, he's got the engine floored so there's smoke pouring out and the back wheels are spinning off the car. He's raining four letter words down on the guy in the forklift, so he starts jogging the hydraulic controls to get the car bouncing up and down and teetering half on and half off and he's laughing his ass off ...all the while the other guy is up inside this car and he's cursing and laughing. I'm shading my eyes from the sun looking up at this guy and my heart is pounding out of my chest cause I know this guys gonna drop off and get killed right in front of me. About that time the old man comes out of the office and says "can I help you" ...I'm like "did you just see that" and he says "what" ?
I quess that was the kind of stuff they did for laughs all the time there but it freaks me out even today when I think about it. They probably did it just to see my expression.

We (my cousin and I) cut the top off an old 71 Catalina four door and smoothed the sharp edges away and drove it to football games and concerts, shared it with friends who's cars were out of commission and finally scrapped it when the block cracked. A full frame car though and it was fine with no roof, it had no carpet and the GM oval floor plates were removed for drainage so you had to watch what you dropped. We painted it a dozen times, once in Red White and Blue and drove it in our 4th of July parade. That car had some stories to tell and only a few would be proper to tell here.:laugh:

this thread is very misleading! i was expecting to see a girl standing next to a car?
:doah::doah::doah:
That was kind of the idea...:laugh:

Looks like it may be the end of the line for the cavalier. Over the weekend I took the radiator out and the alt. off, and was driving around with water in the block. All was going good till I rammed over a big rock sticking out of the ground and really knocked the oil pan in. It was banged up before but now I finally put a hole through it. Sounds like a rod is hitting against the pan too. I took the pic last night. When I looked at the car this morning, I noticed there is a big crack in the bell housing. Didn't have time to get a pic of that. I could probably take the pan off and weld it up, but I'm about bored with it anyway. Sometimes its got a dead miss on two cyls. Not sure how bad the damage is to the bell housing, I didn't look at it too close. What's funny is that you hit one small thing with the car you drive on the street and your broke down, but you try to break it on purpose and it just keeps running.

Well, I seized the motor up. Decided to drive down my driveway and back, the engine out of oil due to the hole in the pan of course. I went about 50-60ft, stopped and started backing up. Made it almost back to where I park it, but the trans was low and it wouldn't pull me up the slight incline to my parking spot. I shut it off to fill up the transmission. Just when I shut it off I heard it squeak a couple of times (the sound of a rod tightening up). I put some used motor oil in the trans, thinking it might turn over... When I try to crank it, I find the motor locked up. So I had to push it back out of the driveway with another car. Guess thats it for that.

That reminds me of my uncle's half truck, it was the front half of an old '49 Ford Monarch 2-dr, and the back half of a '73 F150. He had them mangled together and used it as his farm truck, wish I had some pics of it, might be some black and white ones when he first built it, will have to look...