Torque converter question

Ok finally got the mtd running today and it runs strong and has a lot of low end torque but it's not shifting. This is my first experience with a torque converter so I have no clue what's going on or even where to start. Thanks bryce

Hey Bryce!! My guess is maybe the driver or driven isn't opening and closing correctly.....maybe a lube problem....kinda rusty....maybe some dry lube from Comet for the pulleys also?
Come on guys help Bryce out!

By your photos it looks like they are long overdue for complete and thorough disassembly, cleaning, and lubrication (obvious deferred maintenance-they look pretty rusty). After doing that, a good way to test for proper operation is to remove the drive chain to the rear wheel sprocket and the T.C. cover and run the engine at various speeds and watch the sheaves of the driver and driven for proper movement in and out.
Michael

Sprocket86

I could be wrong here but I think your driven clutch is mounted backwards on the jack shaft. I have a 1971 MTD model 520 and it has this Vplex torque converter set up.

I use dry graphite lube spray on the driver/driven pulleys and it works great! I would agree with other members here, she looks dry and in dire need of some lubricant.