Toyota in NASCAR

maverick1

Living an hour from Daytona, every year we went to the 500, Firecracker 400 and the Paul Revere 250. It was nothing after the 500 to be in a restaurant after and see Cale or Buddy stroll in to eat after the big race. All very approachable. The racing scene was more raw and not the commercial spectacle it is today. Just a different breed of drivers back then. I haven't been to a auto race in years. Just not the same. When i was a young guy i went to Daytona Yamaha with my uncle to drop off the engine off of his 305 Yamaha to have some work to it. The old guy who owned the shop was an old beach racer. He took us to the time trials that day. What an interesting guy with some very cool recollections of early NASCAR. He also brought a really cool Yamaha for me fo cruise the infield on. It was built for a movie in Miami. I had the oppertunity to buy that bike years back and i have kicked myself since.

I quit watching when Dale died.
i saw that happen on live tv....i remember that day clearly.....we were in Susuin City visiting some of my parents friends. I went to the barber shop to watch the race because i damn sure didnt want to sit around with those old folks.

Hehehe..... Since this is a "Toyota in NASCAR" thread

So today I took my 9 year old nephew to the B.A.S.S Bassmaster Classic expo that is happening this weekend at the TD Convention Center along with the Bassmaster Tournament that is being fished on Lake Hartwell.

I knew that Toyota was the official tow truck but never thought that they would have anything interesting at the event.....

Boy was I wrong. We walked in and the first thing you see is a HUGE Toyota display right by the entrance. Well as we walked through there in all its glory sat a Toyota Camry. Not just any Camry but a half breed Camry. I will just post the pics and you can see just how cheated up a Camry has to be to become a NASCAR Race Car. I would love to see this exact thing done with a Ford and a Chevrolet.

Enjoy. And this is a real car nothing fake about it except that I discovered that it did not have an engine in it. I took 100 pictures of this thing...

No its not an illusion but it looks like it.

Broad ole butt...

These show how they changed the total size and shape of the car. Its half NASCAR and half luxury car...

I have more to upload. Hold on to your hats as this thing was authentic to NASCAR specs on the right half and factory on the left half. It looked exactly like you drove the 2 cars through a huge vertical band saw and then merged the two cars. It was extremely impressive as far as the quality of the workmanship on this thing. It had 1/2 of a 9 inch under it too.

More pics to come.

Doug

Last edited:
Front wheel and big brakes

Exhaust and jack post

Front suspension and empty engine compartment

Rear suspension and half of a 9 inch Ford rearend

Looking down into the windshield at half a console, dash and rollcage

Last edited:
"Toyota" That makes all the difference
So what difference does brand make????

They are all playing under the same rules. The France family rules. If your liked they avert their eyes. If your not liked they use a microscope.....

You are aware that GM is a major share holder in Toyota?

Last edited:
Toyota doesn't and has never made a pushrod V8 for one of their production vehicles. When they got into NASCAR, they took a Chevy, Ford and Dodge NASCAR engine and used the best of each of their engines to design the Toyota NASCAR engine.

Yep. And Clements Racing right here in Spartanburg, SC did all the prototype work on the heads. There were so few heads that Toyota sent Clements a 3D printed head to work with. They couldn't even spare a real head.

Very interesting article, Doug. Seems to me they should have kept that going.
The partnership sure changed a lot of things at the General. They went from the Vega to the Chevette to the Cavalier to the Cobalt to the Volt... Seems like the Prius and the Volt are big sellers with the Prius leading the way by quit a bit.

My buddy Bruce has 3 Prius'sssss. Say that 3 times real fast... You would be amazed what you can haul in the back of a run of the mill Prius. We brought a complete Baja Warrior home in his 05. We drive that thing everywhere. Its a good road car even with 4 people in it.

Last edited: