Tractor project: Best 3600rpm torque cam?

I'm working on a project right now with an old tractor that came from the factory with a 6hp tecumseh. The engine is junk and I'm going to put a 212 hemi predator I have laying around on it. 6.5hp is 0.5 more than stock, but I'd like to squeeze as much torque out of this engine at 3600 rpms as possible. What cam would be the best for this application and what supporting mods would be needed? Should I even bother with a cam?

just get a cl-1 cam or similar profile and make sure you have a decent exhaust pipe, no shorty, the longer pipe creates more torque as well. basically you can make your "torque" or stay in torque range by gearing properly as well

Tractor project ?

Pictures please I love tractors lol

Tractors are all about low speed gearing so even a stock pred should work fine
I would play with sprocket/pulley ratio's before I opened up the engine
Get it working great stock , then you have a bench mark to work from if you feel you still need more power

I like bigrobs idea unless your absolutely sure you only need a little more torque... Is it possible to fab in a tav2 ? They have a cam listed for wenching, wakeboarding, supposed to be awesome low end..

Last edited:
horse2.jpg wheelhorse.jpg

I think it's a Wheel Horse 605. Pull start Tecumseh H60. I'd like to repaint it and personalize it a bit. I was thinking of painting it matte black or maybe something more crazy like bright green. I was already considering a nice long tractor header. Unlike the big blocks, there doesn't seem to be a ready to go tractor header for the 212 predator and since I lack the equipment and skill to fab a decent one I was looking at some of those custom header kits. How well does a stock 212 respond to 1.3:1 rockers?

there is very few companies that make ratio rockers for a hemi head. i believe there are one or two but they are very expensive roller rockers. if it was a non hemi head there are quite a few out there.

Looks like a fun project. At the campground that we camp at they have a tractor pulling track and they pull the small tractors like that one and man are they fun to watch. They even have ones that run on alcohol and man are they wicked!