TrailMate Back from the barn

This is a placeholder for the upcoming repair of an old TrailMate that was pulled from my uncles barn. Most parts are there and it is in good shape. A couple people asked for pics to start so here are some of the frame and engine. The clutch in the picture is a big deal (check this thread for details).
Mini Bike.JPG

20150506_201914.jpg

20150506_201930.jpg

20150506_201948.jpg

OK, Ill bite ... what reefs in GR do you keep?

Beekeeper is also a member on here, he is my brother .... I'm in Kentwood and he is in Wyoming ....

Ok, so a quick update (pics to follow). I mounted the engine, got it running and it is ready for a road test. :) I ran it on the stand and it all looks to be working. Won't know how well till I get it on the ground (maybe tonight).

The jack shaft seems a bit stiff and I think it is in need of a major greasing and/or new bearings. This does raise one question; what is the procedure for removing the jackshaft? Does it just require a puller? I don't want to damage it, it seems to be working well and they are not cheap to replace. I will post a question in the repair thread as well.

Well I took it for a quick drive. SCARY! :eek:

I could barely keep in on the road. The front end was stiff and very erratic in it's action so I pulled it back in the garage and began tearing it down. The springs are in great shape but the forks are dry as a bone. The front wheel bearings are SHOT. The steering stem needs a good greasing but is tight so it should be fine (if I can get the stem out). I am guessing that the front wheel wobble was causing the steering issues (fingers crossed).

I was waiting for you to finish yours so I can start mine:

That looks about the same condition as mine! Glad to know there is a local going through the same process/pain.

Cool bikes. What size are the tires and rims? They almost look like car rims.
I don't know of the top of my head buy I think they are 10in wheels with lawnmower type tires about 8in wide.

Thanks count, I knew they were big but couldn't remember exactly.

Well I swapped out the wheel bearings.

Old ones:

New Ones:

Wow, what a difference! I took it around the block and it was like a different machine.

Since I live in the city I had to load it up and take it elsewhere to really ride it. I threw together a seat using an old T-shirt (My son picked it out, smart kid). I also took his vintage cousin along for the ride. :smile:

Ran two tanks of gas through it and towards the end of the second it was starting hard and acting like it was running out of gas. I am guessing a carb rebuild will fix that. Overall it was a great machine and with a little more TLC it will be great fun for me and the kids.