Trisport ID?

Hello,
I just bought a Alsport Trisport this weekend. It seems pretty original, but doesn't fit the description of anything I found online. Seems like a lot of 1974 info. I think mine may be older. It has 3 belt type brakes...all independent of each other. One is for each rear wheel and the third is for the sprocket shaft(so it will stop both rear wheels).

Anyhow, mine has a Canada Curtiss Wright KEC 290 engine. When I bought it, it did not run. But, I took apart, cleaned and reassembled the carb (Tillotson) and now it is decent. I was driving it tonight...lots of fun. Its really fast. It's also pretty loud and smokey! I will evantually clock it with a GPS.

I trouble figuring how to plumb it. I couldn't find anyplace that clearly showed the impulse tube going to the metal carb inlet and the fuel inlet being the plastic one on the bottom(when I bought it, there were no fuel hoses).

Also, the wiring for the engine...right now, it is just hanging out. I'd like to install a kill switch. RIght now, I have 5 wires coming out of the magneto area. 3 whites and 2 reds. Also, 1 of each color (one right and one red) go to the ignition coils(so I have 2 whites and 1 red leftover in addition to the wires going to the coils). How do I wire in a safety kill switch?

Also, anyone know what year and model mine is? I know the newer (1974) ones with the CCW 290 had disc brakes...but mine doesn't. It looks factory.

Any help or info would be appreciated.

ALso, you might notice the pull start removed, it bound up so I am using a drill to start it. It is much easier.
Thanks,
Chris

I just worked on a JLO rockwell 340 that had a tillotson carb. There was a port in the flange of the carb that channeled the pulse to power the fuel pump. There were no vaccum lines.

james c

the carb you have is a hd tilly? should say what it is on the flange where it bolts to the motor, some of the carbs have a vacuum built into the flange as richard said, also some have a fuel return line to the tank which you could just add a tee to the fuel feed and recirculate it back that way. some do need to draw vacuum from the crankcase with a line, you would have two inlets/outlets on the carb.,the bottom one you allready know goes to the tank if you have a third that is smaller then its a fuel return line to the tank

The carb on there is an HR120A2. So, i test and tuned all day today.

Turns out, last time I rode it and I thought it was quick, it had one bad spark plug. I replaced both plugs and rode it a lot today. Unbelievably fast! All the weight comes off the front tire so when I give it gas, good luck turning!

It is also hard to stay on the trike. It bounces you around a lot while riding on the lawn.

I don't know how fast I am going, but it has to be near 40.

Now, that is how it runs when everything is right. I am having trouble tuning the carb right. It is very hard to set it to keep it idleing...but idleing low enough that it isn't pulling away.

Also, seems like the high speed jet is extremey touchy. There seems to be a real fine line between the engine making ungodly power or the engine just running.

Any advice on tuning these? How about carb settings(how many turns out) for those high and low speed jets?

It is still hard to start too. I just use a drill with a 3/4" socket on the fan pully while I mess with the throttle to get it running. Otherwise, it floods out every time (I mean plugs are WET). I am guessing I have the low speed jet too open???

Cheers,
Chris

You might want to check the needle under the diaphragm, it's arm should be level with the carb body. Buy this time I hope you have installed a good air cleaner to keep junk out of your engine.
Steve :scooter:

Yeah, that was it. I did not tighten the screw that the teeter totter spring loaded level lays on so the needle was opening too far...too much fuel.

I have since corrected and now, it takes a lot more turns to open the jets...but they are also way more consistant and manageable. It idles decent and the high jetting is good.

I do not have an air cleaner yet. I am riding in lawn...so minimal dust. But, I would like to get an air cleaner and a decent throttle cable. Do you have any recommendations?

Current throttle cable is a 104" bicycle brake cable run through automotive brake line tubing. It works, but it is very bindy.

Thanks,
Chris

Finding an air cleaner for the pumper Tillotson carbs is not that easy but I buy such things from a place in Michigan called Growth Products Inc. and they sell some velocity stacks with a screen and of course snowmobiles don't encounter much dust in their environment, but then you could find a Uni foam sock. one good part # looks like it should work is G9.0057 look then up at Growth Products, Inc.
As for the long cable I always had to make my own because of the length I buy my cable and throttle supply's from Flanders Motorcycle Supply and have for 39 years. Yes I am that OLD LOL Steve :scooter:

Finding an air cleaner for the pumper Tillotson carbs is not that easy but I buy such things from a place in Michigan called Growth Products Inc. and they sell some velocity stacks with a screen and of course snowmobiles don't encounter much dust in their environment, but then you could find a Uni foam sock. one good part # looks like it should work is G9.0057 look then up at Growth Products, Inc.
As for the long cable I always had to make my own because of the length I buy my cable and throttle supply's from Flanders Motorcycle Supply and have for 39 years. Yes I am that OLD LOL Steve :scooter:
From Mike)ALSO You could get a K&N Filter at a local motorcycle shop, recomend don,t over oil the thang. and run a OUTTERWEARS- finescreen-cuff they sell these at Sandbuggy supply places, there is a place called McKenzies Peformance in California type that it and see what you get. Good Luck
Mike.