Unknown Magneto

capguncowboy

I had one of those. I think the consensus was that it came from a vertical big block engine (8hp plus). The mounting bolts put the coil at 1 hour retard from it's normally located

You would think that these ignitions would be standard from one engine family to another but for whatever reason the manufacturers changed things even if it was ever so slightly, I have a nice looking copper colored 4hp briggs that would hardly run. So I tried to install a magneto from a push mower which in theory should have worked, but it sat near an eight of an inch from the flywheel and other than that looked exactly like the one I took off a fiver I had except for the mounting slots which if set all the way down would not fire properly. In theory I could elongate the holes and get to the gap but I have a huge stash of fiver parts so that's where I went but your deal is a bit more complicated it seems. I was a little perplexed at first but realized I had gotten a couple of magnetrons from push mowers and checked them side by side, so there is a slight difference. After finding this out I was concerned my aluminum generator flywheel from a 3.5hp briggs wound be the same as a mower aluminum wheel and that my dream of a fast spinning 3hp with a home spun intake and larger carb might not work, and it turned out they used aluminum flywheels on gen sets to avoid magnetic problems so it does vary wildly from one engine family to another and that my vertical aluminum gen set flywheel is slightly larger than it's horizontally oriented cousin. Now we both know and we share this in hopes that someone will learn. Good stuff.