Upgrades to Bird Wren for a fat boy

Bought a Bird Wren with the hopes of upgrading it so it can carry me around swap meets. At 250 lbs., I planning to upgrade to a Predator Hemi engine and a 5" rear wheel and tire. Does anyone think it will work and then will I have to add an engine upgrade kit and what size sprockets? chrr 020.JPG

CarPlayLB

Sure it will work! I am a fat guy too! Just put more air in the tires...and you may want to get more brakes! That scrub brake doesn't work so well when wet.

What's the story on the hacked Taco 22 behind it?

Looking at the Predator engines and there seems to be 2 different ones, the Hemi and non-Hemi, is there one that produces more power stock or modified than the other? Not sure if an engine up-grade is required but I want to do it right the first time.

I believe I have a 1968 Bird Wren. It looks like I only have 12 1/2 inches of height for an engine including the spark plug, and I believe the predator engine is too tall to fit.

Measuring the dimensions of the engine 15.4" L x 12.6" W x 13.6" H as a unit but if I remove the tank I can get it to fit with the top rail running between the stock muffler and air cleaner. With 5.25 between rear axle mounts what is the largest size wheel and tire I can run without frame modifications with a brake assembly. ? Sorry for all the questions but I'm a newbie to the mini bikes and really would not like to repeat all the mistakes anyone else has done.

Last edited:
After taking the engine mount off the frame I now have 13.825 inches of vertical clearance to I won't need to dismount the fuel tank. It looks like it was actually an adaptor plate of some sort. :smile:

Last edited: