Valmobile Carb

I have a 1960's Valmobile and am trying to get it running again. I have spark and compression but so far have not been able to get it to turn over. I know that the bike ran about 10 years ago. I will experiment with getting it started by manually squirting fuel into the intake, but will eventually need a new carb.

Does anybody know the specs for the carb on this bike or possibly have an existing Valmobile with the original carb so they could let me know if there is any brand information on it? Then I can look up the specs and get an aftermarket replacement. Even better would be the elusive "Parts Catalog" which was sold online until about 10 years ago.

Thanks very much.

welcomb to OldMiniBikes its the best!
i can try to help you with your carb issues,but i need to know about the
intake manafold,is it cast iron,casted with the engine,like all 1 piece casting,
casting of jug and manafold all 1 ? :scooter::scooter::scooter:

i have a 1960's valmobile and am trying to get it running again. i have spark and compression but so far have not been able to get it to turn over. i know that the bike ran about 10 years ago. I will experiment with getting it started by manually squirting fuel into the intake, but will eventually need a new carb.

Does anybody know the specs for the carb on this bike or possibly have an existing valmobile with the original carb so they could let me know if there is any brand information on it? Then i can look up the specs and get an aftermarket replacement. Even better would be the elusive "parts catalog" which was sold online until about 10 years ago.

Thanks very much.
?wtf?

Sorry for the delay. We have been having some problems with power outages here on the east coast.

When I say "turn over" I mean start. Maybe I am using the incorrect terminology here?

The intake and exhaust manifolds are cast along with the crank case. There are some pictures here with better detail:

The World's Best Photos of valmobile - Flickr Hive Mind

The carb that I had on it which did work (poorly) at one point had moto minnarelli S1 DGM9560-s printed on the airbox and Delloro SHA 14 12 printed on the carb itself. I have done some research on these numbers and believe that 14 12 is related to size of the intake, but not sure how. Forgive me if this is a novice question.

Thanks for the help.

that carb is a amal type 392 mikuni is very close, a penny is the size
of the carb that slips over the intake manafold, othes will work,if you need
photos let me know. :scooter:

Wow. Thanks Wayne. I see that the Amal 392 correlates to "a 20mm bore on mounting flange with a bolt spacing of 38mm". The Mikuni VM20-273 seems comparable with the Amal 392. Here are the specifications for the Mikuni.

No Specs Item Specs
1 Carburetor size (mm) 20
2 Main Jet Size 180
3 Pilot Jet Size 22.5
4 Needle Jet / Series O-6 / N-6
5 Jet Needle 4J13
6 Throttle Valve 2.0
7 Main Air Jet 0.5
8 Needle Valve 1.5

Would this work and would jetting/needle modifications be required?

Carb Pictures

I'm sorry, but I can't tell you what jet sizes would work. I believe if you have a carb suitable for a 50cc it will work. Here are pictures of the carb off a valmobile. In the first picture the red #1 is the choke, #2 is the primer pump, #3 is the part that slips over the intake manifold and screws tight.

Thanks again. I will give the Mikuni a try and see what happens.

I love the sidecar but those are apparently very rare.The whole mechanism pivots to allow the bike to lean. Putting the golf clubs in there seems like a very cool way to play a round of golf.

Any idea on the proper drive belt size for the Valmobile? Any good sources for these?

I got the Valmobile to start last night. It only runs for a second when I spray fuel directly into the cylinder head, but it was a fun thing to hear the Valmobile running again after 15 years!

After lots of cleaning of the mismatched carb I had for the valmobile, I got things running today. It ran for about 20 minutes nice and smoothly but since the throttle system is not working, the bike isn't rideable.

The things I still need to address are the drive belt, suspension rubber bands, and the throttle system. I am deciding between trying to rebuild the existing throttle or just buying a new system. The cables were very rusty and though I did lube them, not sure how good a job I did. Biggest unknown now is a source for the rubber bands for the suspension. Any ideas?

Still looking for information on the belt size.

No ideas on this belt size?

Can anybody help on a source for the rubber bands that make up the rear suspension? I have included some photos below. I need the thicker black rubber bands that are visible in the photos.

Thanks for any help you are able to provide!

I found the bands and the belt. The bands came from Danny at Moped Land in Great Britain. The belt is was Gates 3250 21/32" and came from Rock Auto for about $5. Just thought I would help out anybody else who is looking for these parts! The Valmobile is now for sale in case anybody is interested. Check the classifieds.