Vintage Class - 1966 Lil Indian

I managed to get the engine somewhat torn down between work and helping my wife with the baby. Here's some proof:

I also spoke to my coater and the frame and wheels will be ready tomorrow. I should be able to swing by and pick it up on Tuesday.

Opened up the cylinder today, and it looks perfect. The internals look great too. I'll buy some new seals and gaskets for it, rebuild the carb and call it done mechanically.

Anyone have recommendations for what silver engine paint is close to the original briggs silver?

Opened up the cylinder today, and it looks perfect. The internals look great too. I'll buy some new seals and gaskets for it, rebuild the carb and call it done mechanically.

Anyone have recommendations for what silver engine paint is close to the original briggs silver?
I think Rick (Chatten) was talking about which silver to use on these. Can't recall the thread. Send him a PM, he probably knows exactly what to use.

Good to see you keeping on it. Looking forward to the finished product. :thumbsup:

Yeah, except this is a Briggs. Also, I don't have a spray gun. I've got some parts on the engine where the paint should buff out enough to give me an idea what to match off of.

Also, today I picked up the frame, fenders, and wheels. All look fantastic and the blue worked out really nice. Pics to come soon.

Waiting on a few more smalls and then I should be set to build a roller. Nothing like building a roller to put off working on the engine :laugh:

PICS!!! The blue is as close to the original blue as I'm willing to do. Anything darker or more dull would not do, so this is what I've got. It's actually much closer to the original blue than I would have thought when I picked it. I didn't snap pics of the rims, but they cleaned up nice and are white...not really pic worthy.

Its just a little darker than Ford Tractor Blue, as best as I can tell. Yeah, I can't wait to put the engine in there, all shiny and silver!

I had thought about going white on the engine, seat and fenders, but I'm glad I stuck with the original scheme.

UGH! One step forward, two steps back. I pulled the clutch from the motor and of course the crank keyway looks like it was chewed on by a metal eating monster. What makes a person say,"I KNOW!! Lets chip away at the crank keyway and then drill on it a little for good measure!" WTF!?!?

So now I need to put a new crank in, or get the original welded up and re-cut. We'll see. Anyone know if any crank out of a similar 6-series briggs will work? Better yet, anyone got one for sale?

The blue paint looks good. At least you found the crank issue before you put the motor in the bike. And you still have a few weeks to come up with the solution.

Yeah, this isn't a show stopper. The part exists and I know where to find one at this point. Only question is how much will the crank cost me? Hopefully I'll find a good used one.

I don't believe so, but I can check. It has to use part number 494136 for the crank. If anyone has a possible donor, let me know the ID number and I can check quick enough if it will work.

Itching to get this thing built. I'm still waiting on a new sprocket before I can build the roller and the rain has keep me from de-greasing the motor...so I polish, organize, and bide my time....Oh..and take pics!

The plated parts of the clutch are about as shiney as they will ever get. I've got to work on the dings on the hub portion...possibly machine them down? If anyone has a MINT Mercury clutch that looks like this one, LET ME KNOW!