Vintage dual sport

I have several trail scooters awaiting restoration, including the twister that has been chilling in the project logs. None of them have gotten much attention because I've been working on this. It's a 79 Honda XL500S. I bought it about 8 months ago and it's ready to rip. The body work is not much, but the chassis and engine have been completely rebuilt and upgraded. I have lights and a title to make it street legal after I tear it up in the dirt for a while.

I remember riding my friends 500 and it was a bitch to start, then I found the compression release:laugh: His was Silver if I remember right and had tons of torque and got away from me several times! Great bike!

This bike has one of the first automatic decompression systems. I'll need it too with the 10.5:1 piston. I also added an XR carb, a bigger camshaft and a Barnett clutch. It's been a fun project, I couldn't have done it without my friends help.

I had a 1980 XL500r with a Super Trapp!! First real freedom on the street!! Loud as hell!! Hard as hell to kick over!! Loved it!! Had to commit to the kick....or you were going over!! Miss that bike!! Yours looks real nice Tim!! :thumbsup:

Oops

Well I took her out for a ride over the weekend. It was running really good. My friend and I came to a nice smooth dirt road and the race was on, I couldn't resist. A few seconds into fifth gear wide open throttle- and she seized. Rear wheel locked right up going 60+ mph. After cooling down it started back up with no chatter or smoke, but the damage is done. I'll have to take the jug back off and see how bad it is. Lesson learned: be patient with break in!